Graphic Interpretation for Æ©f(x)Îx

In summary: As I said, it is NOT a very good notation! It is also, as I said, [itex](1^2)(1)+ (2^2)(1)+ (3^2)(1)+ (4^2)(1)= 1+ 4+ 9+ 16= 30. It would be better to write the sum as [itex]\sum_{x= 1}^{x= 4}x^2= 1+ 4+ 9+ 16= 30. Yes, that is the same as using [itex]\Delta x= 1.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of discrete integration in discrete calculus, specifically focusing
Jhenrique
Graphic Interpretation for Ʃf(x)Δx

Hello!

I was trying to understand what means:
[tex]\sum_{x_0}^{x_1}f(x)\Delta x[/tex]
(when Δx = 1 and x ∈ Z, ie, a "discrete integration", topic very comun in discrete calculus).

I computed the result so:
[tex]\sum_{1}^{4}x^2\Delta x=\left [\frac{1}{3}x^3-\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{1}{6}x \right ]_{1}^{4}=F(4)-F(1)=14[/tex]
and I sketched the graphic:
imagem.jpg

However, the Maple computes the result as:
[tex]\sum_{1}^{4}x^2\Delta x=>\sum_{1}^{4}x^2\cdot 1=>\sum_{1}^{4}x^2=30[/tex]
Given a different result of calculated for me. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maple is calculating the sum following the conventional rules of notation for ##\sum_1^4##, i.e. the sum is 1 + 4 + 9 + 16 = 30.

In discrete calculus you are only summing 3 items, not 4. That is why you got 1 + 4 + 9 = 14.

Maybe there is an option in Maple to use discrete calculus notation, but I don't know about that.

Likes 1 person
Jhenrique said:
Hello!

I was trying to understand what means:
[tex]\sum_{x_0}^{x_1}f(x)\Delta x[/tex]
(when Δx = 1 and x ∈ Z, ie, a "discrete integration", topic very comun in discrete calculus).
This is not a very good notation! It says you are summing from [itex]x_0[/itex] to [itex]x_1[/itex] but does NOT say what step you are using- what [itex]\Delt x[/itex is.

I computed the result so:
[tex]\sum_{1}^{4}x^2\Delta x=\left [\frac{1}{3}x^3-\frac{1}{2}x^2+\frac{1}{6}x \right ]_{1}^{4}=F(4)-F(1)=14[/tex]
You appear to be assuming that [itex]x_0= 1[/itex] and [itex]x_1= 4[/itex[ are the only values used- that is, that [itex]\Delta x= 4- 1= 3. But this is a sum, not a difference. It is [itex](1)^2(3)+ (2)^2+ 3= 3+ 12= 15[/itex].

and I sketched the graphic:
imagem.jpg
That graphic shows you using [itex]\Delta x= 1[/itex], so that x takes on values of 1, 2, and 3:
[itex]1^2(1)+ 2^2(1)+ 3^2(1)= 1+ 4+ 9= 14[/itex]

However, the Maple computes the result as:
[tex]\sum_{1}^{4}x^2\Delta x=>\sum_{1}^{4}x^2\cdot 1=>\sum_{1}^{4}x^2=30[/tex]
Given a different result of calculated for me. Why?[/QUOTE]
That sum would NOT approximate the integral from 1 to 4 because it includes a "rectangle" between x= 4 and x= 5: 1+ 4+ 9+ 16= 30.

1. What is graphic interpretation for Æ©f(x)Îx?

Graphic interpretation for Æ©f(x)Îx is a mathematical concept used to analyze and understand the behavior and relationship between a function and its variable. It involves plotting the function on a graph and interpreting the graph to gain insights about the function's behavior.

2. How do I graph Æ©f(x)Îx?

To graph Æ©f(x)Îx, you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane. The x-axis represents the variable x and the y-axis represents the values of the function Æ©f(x)Îx. You can then connect the plotted points to create a line that represents the function on the graph.

3. What can I learn from a graphic interpretation of Æ©f(x)Îx?

A graphic interpretation of Æ©f(x)Îx can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function. It can help you identify the domain and range of the function, the slope and intercepts of the graph, and any patterns or trends in the data.

4. How do I interpret the slope of the graph for Æ©f(x)Îx?

The slope of the graph for Æ©f(x)Îx represents the rate of change of the function. A positive slope indicates that the function is increasing, while a negative slope indicates that the function is decreasing. The steeper the slope, the faster the rate of change.

5. Can I use graphic interpretation for Æ©f(x)Îx in real-world applications?

Yes, graphic interpretation for Æ©f(x)Îx has many real-world applications such as analyzing data in science, economics, and engineering. It can help in predicting future trends, making informed decisions, and understanding relationships between variables in various fields.