Graphical Convolution in Physics & Electrical Engineering

In summary, graphical convolution is a method used in both signal processing and quantum mechanics where the integral is broken into different intervals. It is a general way to solve convolution problems and can be used for all types of signals regardless of their causality. However, in most math and physics courses, graphical convolution is not used and instead, the mathematical method is preferred. This is because in math examples, it is often assumed that the functions f(t) and h(t) are equal to zero for t<0.
sed199
As a double major in physics an electrical engineering, I noticed that graphical convolution is used in both signal processing and quantum mechanics. In my signals course I couldn't help but notice that sometimes the professor would just convolved the function from straight integration, and other times we will have to break the integral into different intervals using Graphical convolution method. The graphical method seems more like a general way of solve convolution problems. Is graphical convolution used when the functions you are to be convolved aren't causal, or that the functions aren't equal to zero when t<0?

Engineering news on Phys.org
it doesn't matter. . .you can use graphic convolution for all type of signals .

reddvoid said:
it doesn't matter. . .you can use graphic convolution for all type of signals .

But in most math and physics courses graphical convolution isn't used. Is that because it's assumed that h(t) and f(t) are assumed to equal 0 for t<0?

while in maths u r supposed to solve it mathematically, that's why graphical method is not used i think. . .
but h(t) or f(t) need not to be 0 for t<0 to use graphical convolution. . .

reddvoid said:
while in maths u r supposed to solve it mathematically, that's why graphical method is not used i think. . .
but h(t) or f(t) need not to be 0 for t<0 to use graphical convolution. . .

Graphical convolution can be used in any case, but the mathematical method seems much more simpler and quicker, and I noticed that graphical isn't used much at all in non-electrical engineering courses. Is that because we assume that f(t) and h(t) = 0 for t<0 for math examples?

1. What is graphical convolution in physics and electrical engineering?

Graphical convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to produce a third function. It is commonly used in physics and electrical engineering to analyze and understand complex systems.

2. How does graphical convolution work?

Graphical convolution involves sliding one function over the other and multiplying the two functions at each point. The results of these multiplications are then summed to produce the final convolved function.

3. What is the significance of graphical convolution in these fields?

Graphical convolution is a powerful tool in physics and electrical engineering as it allows for the analysis of complex systems and their responses to inputs. It is commonly used in signal processing, circuit analysis, and image processing.

4. Can graphical convolution be applied to any type of function?

Yes, graphical convolution can be applied to any continuous function as long as the function is defined over a finite interval. It can also be applied to discrete functions by using a discrete version of the convolution operation.

5. Are there any limitations to using graphical convolution?

While graphical convolution is a useful tool, it does have limitations. It assumes linearity and time-invariance in the system being analyzed, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, it can become computationally intensive for large functions.