Graphical convolution

• Thread starter sed199
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

As a double major in physics an electrical engineering, I noticed that graphical convolution is used in both signal processing and quantum mechanics. In my signals course I couldn't help but notice that sometimes the professor would just convolved the function from straight integration, and other times we will have to break the integral into different intervals using Graphical convolution method. The graphical method seems more like a general way of solve convolution problems. Is graphical convolution used when the functions you are to be convolved aren't causal, or that the functions aren't equal to zero when t<0?

Answers and Replies

it doesn't matter. . .you can use graphic convolution for all type of signals .

it doesn't matter. . .you can use graphic convolution for all type of signals .
But in most math and physics courses graphical convolution isn't used. Is that because it's assumed that h(t) and f(t) are assumed to equal 0 for t<0?

while in maths u r supposed to solve it mathematically, that's why graphical method is not used i think. . .
but h(t) or f(t) need not to be 0 for t<0 to use graphical convolution. . .

while in maths u r supposed to solve it mathematically, that's why graphical method is not used i think. . .
but h(t) or f(t) need not to be 0 for t<0 to use graphical convolution. . .
Graphical convolution can be used in any case, but the mathematical method seems much more simpler and quicker, and I noticed that graphical isn't used much at all in non-electrical engineering courses. Is that because we assume that f(t) and h(t) = 0 for t<0 for math examples?