1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphical Linearization

1. Sep 25, 2005 #1
    Hello everyone,

I am stuck on a problem relating to graphical linearization. The way we did it in high school was much easier than here. Anyway here is the question:

There are many ways to graph equation (1) d=Vot+(1/2)at^2, depending on the arrangement of the variables d vs t. However not all graphs are linear. Two different graphical arrangements in the form y vs x are:

(i) (t^2/d) vs (t/d)

(ii) (1/d) vs (t/d^2)

Solve equation (1) for the given y and then compare the rest of the expression to y=mx+b. Which graphs would be linear? Non-linear? In order to be linear, you must have variables and constants in the form y=slopex+intercept where (y,x) are variables and (slope, intercept) are constants. If the graph is linear, what quantities would correspond to the slope and intercept?

Ok, so that is the question. I think my biggest problem is that I do not understand what the question is asking me to do. If anyone could help me out with this I would really appreciate it, usually I at least have an idea of how to start a question but not this time unfortunately. Thanks a lot for any help you can give.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2005 #2
    For (i), it says "let y=(t^2)/d and let x=t/d and see if the equation (1) is algebraically equivalent to one of the form y=mx+b for some constants m and b."
  4. Sep 25, 2005 #3
    Yes, I understood that much but after that I was lost. Am I supposed to somehow plug those variables into the original equation? If so where do I plug them in, and by that I mean where do I substitute those given x and y values into the equation given. Thanks
  5. Sep 25, 2005 #4
  6. Sep 25, 2005 #5
    bumpity bump *cry* :P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?