Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Suggestion Graphical Options in Posts

1. Sep 10, 2011 #1
    I don't know much about latex but I don't see a way to post graphs on posts. I think, given the heavy picture and graph usage in math and science, it'd help communicate some things better.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2011 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

If you can upload an image (GIF, JPEG, PNG) of the graph to an image-hosting service, you can use the "Insert Image" button when writing a post. Then the image displays as part of the post.

If you can't or don't want to use an image-hosting service, you can use the "Attach File" option when writing a post. This uploads the file to PF's server, and displays a small thumbnail image at the bottom of the post. To see the full-size image, click on the thumbnail.

4. Sep 12, 2011 #3

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Sep 16, 2011 #4
    Ahh ok, was hoping you guys could imbed Wolfram Alpha or something into posting capabilities, prnt scr is a bit annoying.

6. Sep 16, 2011 #5
    There is an option that has been discussed between staff, but to use it requires users to basically know javascript. Wolfram Alpha is not an option because the API fees start at five figures.

7. Sep 16, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I have mentioned this earlier, but is geogebra not an option?? It's very intuitive to use, but it might not be possible to embed it in posts?

8. Sep 16, 2011 #7
    Looks live a Java applet. I'd like to stay away from that.

9. Oct 7, 2011 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

When I answer a question the "post quick reply" window comes up, but there is no button for replying with a jpeg or pdf. Copy/paste does not work even with a WORD file copy.

10. Oct 7, 2011 #9
    Correct, quick reply does not offer attachment options. Click the regular "new reply" button for such options.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  11. Oct 7, 2011 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Or click "Go Advanced" if you started to type your post in the quick reply window.

12. Oct 7, 2011 #11

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Thanks Borek, that sounds good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook