Understanding Graphics Card Jargon: Explaining Specs and Features for Upgrading

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the technical specifications and features of graphics cards, specifically the Nvidia 8800 series. The person is looking for advice on what to look for in a graphics card and which brand is best for gaming. They are also questioning the value of certain features and seeking clarification on technical jargon.
Schrodinger's Dog
What is all the Jargon on the back of a graphics card box, or in teh "spec"

What is 4 times anti aliasing is one question.

This one is not too bad, but I've bolded all the parts I understand, the rest is gibberish? Anyone want to explain some details, so I know what the hell there banging on about. I am thinking of uprgrading my graphics card, and would like a translation?

Any help appreciated :smile:

General
Compatability PC
Device Type Graphics Adapter
Enclosure Type Plug in PCI Card

Interface Type PCI Express x16

Expansion/Connectivity
Compatible Slots 1x PCI Express x16

Manufacturer Warranty
Service & Support 1 Year Warranty
Service and Support Details Limited 1 Year

Miscellaneous
Cables Included 1x DVI-VGA Adapter

Software
Software Included NVIDIA ForceWare Drivers
Operating System Requirements Windows XP, Vista

Processor / Memory
Chipset nVidia Geforce 8800GTX
Video Memory Installed 768MB DDR3
Core Clock Speed 575MHz
Shader Clock Speed 1350MHz
Memory Clock Speed 1800MHz
Memory Bandwidth (GB/sec) 86.4
Texture Fill Rate (Billion Texels/sec) 36.8
Stream Processors 128
Features Shader Model 4.0, UltraShadow II Technology, Intellisample 4.0 technology, nVidia PureVideo Technology

Video
Max VGA Resolution 2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz, 32-bit color
Max Dual-Link DVI-I Resolution 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz, 32-bit color
Maximum HDTV Out (Component) Resolution 1920 x 1080 (1080i)
Maximum TV Out (S-Video) Resolution 1024 x 768
Max Monitors Supported 2
API Supported DirectX 10.0, OpenGL 2.0
TV Inteface TV Out, S-Video Conection

Also what should I be keeping an eye out for, what are the beez knees new features, and what are just window dressing? Who does the best graphics cards for gaming?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/pp.php?id=1854767920&pp=1

Scroll down to "What the specs mean". It should answer most of your questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks that was very useful :smile:

The Nvidia 8800 is the best gaming mainstream graphics card available at the moment but it's expensive. However the mid-range cards in the 88 series, the 8600GT and 8600GTS haven't had very good reviews. A better option in the same mid-price range would be the 7900GS which not only has a faster FR in it's standard mode than the 8600GTS but also has far superior overclocking capabilities. The only thing the 7900GS doesn't have which the 88 series does is support for Direct X 10 but seeing as how there are few if any games that use Direct X 10 or much sign of developers rushing to incorporate it into their software it's not much of an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the difference between a graphics card and a GPU?

A graphics card (also known as a video card or display card) is a hardware component that is responsible for rendering images and videos on a computer screen. A GPU (graphics processing unit) is the chip on the graphics card that actually processes and renders the images. In other words, the graphics card is the physical component while the GPU is the processing unit that makes it work.

2. What do the numbers and letters in a graphics card model name mean?

The numbers in a graphics card model name usually indicate the generation and performance level of the card. For example, a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 is a 10th generation card with high performance, while a GTX 1050 is a 10th generation card with lower performance. The letters often indicate the specific series or model within a generation, such as the GTX or RTX series from NVIDIA.

3. What is the importance of VRAM in a graphics card?

VRAM (video random access memory) is the memory on a graphics card that is used to store and access image data. The more VRAM a graphics card has, the more data it can store and process, which can result in better performance and higher resolutions. It is especially important for tasks such as gaming, video editing, and graphic design.

4. How do I determine which graphics card is compatible with my computer?

The compatibility of a graphics card depends on several factors, including the motherboard, power supply unit (PSU), and physical space inside the computer case. It is important to check the specifications of your computer and the requirements of the graphics card before making a purchase. You can also use online compatibility tools or consult with a computer technician for assistance.

5. What are some important features to consider when upgrading a graphics card?

Some important features to consider when upgrading a graphics card include the GPU architecture, clock speed, memory bandwidth, and thermal design power (TDP). These factors can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the card. It is also important to consider your specific needs and budget when choosing a graphics card for upgrading.