Graphing 1/x: A Quicker Alternative

• Thread starter vanmaiden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for graphing 1/x, with one person currently using a method involving finding asymptotes and another person suggesting using a graphing calculator or considering the behavior of x-values. The original person expresses a dislike for memorization, but acknowledges that there may not be an easier way to graph 1/x.
vanmaiden

Homework Statement

What is an easier way to graph 1/x? How I am currently doing it is in the "The attempt as a solution" section.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The current way I graph some hyperbola like the one mentioned is by first finding the asymptotes. Then, I plug in some x-values and find out where, relative to the asymptotes, the points lie which will show where the curves are. Basically, my method involves plugging and chugging x-values which will show where the curves are on the coordinate plane. I was hoping there was an easier way to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Use a graphing calculator... this is one of those graphs you just memorize

Punkyc7 said:
Use a graphing calculator... this is one of those graphs you just memorize

I have one of those. I just don't like remembering things for the sake of remembering :S

Last edited:
you could just think about what happens when x gets very small or x gets very large. So check
x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0+
x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] infinity
x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0-
x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] negative inifinity

Punkyc7 said:
you could just think about what happens when x gets very small or x gets very large. So check
x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0+
x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] infinity
x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0-
x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] negative inifinity

That's kind of how I was doing it. I guess that's the only real way to get it done lol. Thank you :smile:

1. What is the purpose of "Graphing 1/x: A Quicker Alternative"?

The purpose of "Graphing 1/x: A Quicker Alternative" is to provide a quicker and more efficient method for graphing the function 1/x. This method involves plotting points on a logarithmic scale instead of a linear scale, which can save time and effort.

2. How is the function 1/x graphed using this alternative method?

To graph 1/x using this alternative method, we first plot the points (1,1), (2,1/2), (3,1/3), and so on. Then, we connect these points with a smooth curve, which will be the graph of the function on a logarithmic scale.

3. What are the advantages of using this alternative method for graphing 1/x?

One advantage of using this alternative method is that it is much quicker than graphing on a linear scale. It also allows us to easily see the behavior of the function for larger values of x, which may be difficult to represent accurately on a linear scale.

4. Can this method be applied to other functions besides 1/x?

Yes, this method can be applied to other functions that have similar behavior as 1/x, such as 1/x2 or 1/x3. However, it may not work for all functions as some may have different patterns or asymptotes that require a linear scale for accurate representation.

5. Is this alternative method considered more accurate than graphing on a linear scale?

The accuracy of this alternative method depends on the purpose and context of the graph. For larger values of x, it may be more accurate as it allows us to see the behavior of the function more clearly. However, for smaller values of x, a linear scale may be more accurate in representing the graph. It is important to consider the context and purpose of the graph before determining which method is more accurate.