1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing 1/x

1. Aug 26, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    What is an easier way to graph 1/x? How I am currently doing it is in the "The attempt as a solution" section.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The current way I graph some hyperbola like the one mentioned is by first finding the asymptotes. Then, I plug in some x-values and find out where, relative to the asymptotes, the points lie which will show where the curves are. Basically, my method involves plugging and chugging x-values which will show where the curves are on the coordinate plane. I was hoping there was an easier way to do this.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2011 #2
    Use a graphing calculator.... this is one of those graphs you just memorize

4. Aug 26, 2011 #3
    I have one of those. I just don't like remembering things for the sake of remembering :S

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  5. Aug 26, 2011 #4
    you could just think about what happens when x gets very small or x gets very large. So check
    x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]0+
    x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] infinity
    x [itex]\rightarrow[/itex] 0-
    x[itex]\rightarrow[/itex] negative inifinity

6. Aug 26, 2011 #5
    That's kind of how I was doing it. I guess that's the only real way to get it done lol. Thank you :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook