Learn How to Graph 3D in MATLAB

In summary, to plot a 3D graph in MATLAB, you can use the "plot3" function which takes in three arrays representing the x, y, and z coordinates of the points you want to plot. A 2D graph in MATLAB only has two axes, x and y, while a 3D graph has three axes, x, y, and z, allowing for a more comprehensive visualization of data. Multiple 3D graphs can be plotted on the same figure by using the "hold on" command or creating separate axes with the "subplot" function. To add a colorbar to a 3D graph, the "colorbar" function can be used, and the graph can be exported to different file formats
Dell
i am learning MATLAB, but have not yet learned anything do do with graphing, but need a program that can plot x.y.z graphs for my calculus work,

can someone please help me plot 3d graphs on MATLAB, for example

z=x2+2x+y2-y

how can i input x,y,z so that MATLAB will give me the surface graph of this function

Physics news on Phys.org
Modify as you need:

[X Y] = meshgrid(linspace(-10,10));
z=X.^2+2.*X+Y.^2-Y;
mesh(X,Y,z)

Alternatively use "surf" instead of "mesh".

Hi there,

I would be happy to help you learn how to graph 3D in MATLAB. First, let's go over the basics of creating a 3D plot in MATLAB. You will need to have a set of x, y, and z values to plot. In your example, the z values are determined by the equation z=x^2+2x+y^2-y. To plot this, you will need to create a grid of x and y values and then use the equation to calculate the corresponding z values.

To create a grid of x and y values, you can use the meshgrid function in MATLAB. This function takes in two vectors of x and y values and creates a grid of points. For example, you can use the following code to create a grid of x and y values from -5 to 5 with a step size of 0.5:

[x, y] = meshgrid(-5:0.5:5);

Next, you will need to calculate the z values using the equation you provided. You can do this using element-wise operations in MATLAB. For example, you can use the following code to calculate the z values for each point in the grid:

z = x.^2 + 2.*x + y.^2 - y;

Now that you have your x, y, and z values, you can use the surf function in MATLAB to create a 3D surface plot. The surf function takes in three matrices of x, y, and z values and creates a surface plot. You can use the following code to plot the function you provided:

surf(x, y, z);

This will create a 3D surface plot of the function z=x^2+2x+y^2-y. You can also customize your plot by adding labels, changing the color and style of the surface, and adding a color bar for a better visualization.

I hope this helps you get started with graphing 3D functions in MATLAB. Keep practicing and exploring different functions and features in MATLAB to improve your skills. Good luck!

1. How do I plot a 3D graph in MATLAB?

To plot a 3D graph in MATLAB, you can use the "plot3" function. This function takes in three arrays representing the x, y, and z coordinates of the points you want to plot. You can also add labels, titles, and change the appearance of the graph using the various options available with the "plot3" function.

2. What is the difference between a 2D and 3D graph in MATLAB?

A 2D graph in MATLAB only has two axes, x and y, while a 3D graph has three axes, x, y, and z. This allows you to plot data points in three dimensions, adding depth to your visualization. Additionally, with a 3D graph, you can rotate the graph to view it from different angles, providing a better understanding of the data.

3. Can I plot multiple 3D graphs on the same figure in MATLAB?

Yes, you can plot multiple 3D graphs on the same figure in MATLAB by using the "hold on" command. This will allow you to add additional plots to the existing figure without overwriting it. You can also use the "subplot" function to create separate axes within the same figure to plot multiple 3D graphs.

4. How do I add a colorbar to my 3D graph in MATLAB?

To add a colorbar to your 3D graph in MATLAB, you can use the "colorbar" function. This function will automatically add a colorbar to your current figure, and you can customize the appearance and location of the colorbar using the available options.

5. Can I export my 3D graph from MATLAB to other file formats?

Yes, you can export your 3D graph from MATLAB to other file formats, such as JPEG, PNG, PDF, etc. You can use the "print" function to save your graph in the desired format. Additionally, you can also use the "exportgraphics" function to save your graph in high-resolution formats for publication or presentation purposes.