1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing a complex inequality

1. Jan 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Graph the inequality: |z-1|<|z| where z=x+iy {i is the imaginary number: (-1)^.5}

2. Relevant equations
    for complex #'s z and w,

3. The attempt at a solution

|z|-|1|<or=|z-1|<|z| { if we consider 1 to be complex i.e 1=1+0i}

I have no idea how to graph this last inequality. Isn't it just a true statement in general?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2009 #2

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Huh? What do these inequalities (which are always true) have to do with the inequality in the question?

Instead, use [itex]z=x+iy[/itex] to calculate both [itex]|z|[/itex] and [itex]|z-1|[/itex] in terms of x and y and then substitute your results into the given inequality.
  4. Jan 8, 2009 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also, one can interpret |x- y|, geometrically, as the distance form x to y in the complex plane. That means that we can think of |z- 1| as the distance from z to 1+ 0i or from (x,y) to (1, 0) and |z| as the distance from z to 0+0i or from (x,y) to (0,0). Saying that |z-1|< |z| means the point (x,y) is closer to (1, 0) than to (0,0).
    The line x= 0.5 (the complex numbers 0.5+ yi for any real number y) is the perpendicular bisector of the interval from (0,0) to (1,0). That line is the set of points z so that |z-1|= |z|. The points for which |z-1|< |z| is the set of points to the right of that line.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?