Graphing a function using critical points and increasing/decreasing intervals

In summary, the conversation discusses finding local maxima and minima and determining the type of critical points for a given function. The critical points are found at (3, -4) and (6, 0), with the interval of increase being (3, ∞) and the interval of decrease being (-∞, 3). The type of critical point at (6, 0) is determined to be a rising saddle, and the conversation also touches on finding critical points for a different function.
bnosam

Homework Statement

Find the local maxima and minima and sketch:

Critical points: (3, -4) and (6, 0)

Interval of increase: (3, ∞)
Interval of decrease (-∞, 3)

I'm not quite sure if I graphed this correctly since I wasn't given the function to doublecheck.

The Attempt at a Solution

2v0fwxi.jpg

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks ok as far as you have drawn it, but you need to decide what happens for x > 6. Please post your thoughts on that.

haruspex said:
Looks ok as far as you have drawn it, but you need to decide what happens for x > 6. Please post your thoughts on that.

Well since 6 is a critical point, wouldn't the curve change at that point?

Yes. What are the different types of critical point?

haruspex said:
Yes. What are the different types of critical point?

I'm not quite sure, the only thing that this chapter has went over are the critical points for minimums and maximums. And I don't think I have enough information from the above to make much more determination from it?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_point_%28mathematics%29:
"a critical point of a function of a real variable is any value in the domain where either the function is not differentiable or its derivative is 0"​
If you can't assume the function is differentiable everywhere then the question cannot be answered, so I'll assume it is. I.e. the critical points in this case are actually stationary points, so the derivative is zero. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statio..._points.2C_critical_points_and_turning_points)
There are four kinds of stationary point: local minimum, local maximum, rising saddle, and falling saddle. The first two are also known collectively as local extrema or turning points. At a local minimum, the gradient (as x increases) goes -ve, 0, +ve. At a local max it goes +ve, 0, -ve. At a rising saddle: +ve, 0, +ve; at a falling saddle -ve, 0, -ve.
(A saddle is also a kind of inflection, but inflections generally include places that are not stationary points.)
So armed with all that, what can you say about the two given points?

Last edited by a moderator:
haruspex said:
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_point_%28mathematics%29:
"a critical point of a function of a real variable is any value in the domain where either the function is not differentiable or its derivative is 0"​
If you can't assume the function is differentiable everywhere then the question cannot be answered, so I'll assume it is. I.e. the critical points in this case are actually stationary points, so the derivative is zero. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statio..._points.2C_critical_points_and_turning_points)
There are four kinds of stationary point: local minimum, local maximum, rising saddle, and falling saddle. The first two are also known collectively as local extrema or turning points. At a local minimum, the gradient (as x increases) goes -ve, 0, +ve. At a local max it goes +ve, 0, -ve. At a rising saddle: +ve, 0, +ve; at a falling saddle -ve, 0, -ve.
(A saddle is also a kind of inflection, but inflections generally include places that are not stationary points.)
So armed with all that, what can you say about the two given points?

Well, since (3, ∞) is increasing, wouldn't it be fair to say that the critical point (6,0) is a rising saddle?

Last edited by a moderator:
bnosam said:
Well, since (3, ∞) is increasing, wouldn't it be fair to say that the critical point (6,0) is a rising saddle?

Precisely.

bnosam said:
Well, since (3, ∞) is increasing
(3, ∞) is just an interval, so it's incorrect to describe it as increase or decreasing. The function is increasing on (3, ∞).
bnosam said:
, wouldn't it be fair to say that the critical point (6,0) is a rising saddle?

Mark44 said:
(3, ∞) is just an interval, so it's incorrect to describe it as increase or decreasing. The function is increasing on (3, ∞).

I presumed that's what was meant, given the OP. But another point is that it should really be described as non-decreasing on that interval.

haruspex said:
I presumed that's what was meant, given the OP. But another point is that it should really be described as non-decreasing on that interval.

Good point, but probably a minor detail for students at this level. Clarity > precision.

Thank you.

I have another question and rather than start a new thread, I think I could just post it here since its the same subject.

I have a function: [tex]f(x) = \frac{x^2 - 1 }{x^2+1} [/tex]

Once again the goal is to find the critical points.

So I take the derivative of it which is:

[tex]f'(x) = \frac{4x}{(x^2 +1)^2} [/tex]

Now to find those points we set the left to 0 and then solve right?

[tex] 0 = \frac{4x}{(x^2 +1)^2} [/tex]
I'm stuck at this function and where to go how to solve since I tried to factor it but the squaring ends up canceling out any negatives.

bnosam said:
Can't you just multiply out to get rid of the division?

bnosam said:

Now to find those points we set the left to 0 and then solve right?

I'm stuck at this function and where to go how to solve since I tried to factor it but the squaring ends up canceling out any negatives.

It's customary (not necessary, but common practice) to put the = 0 on the right side. So you'd have

Setting f'(x) to 0 gives us
[tex]\frac{4x}{(x^2 +1)^2}=0 [/tex]

Now, if a fraction a/b equals to zero, what does this say about the fraction?

haruspex said:
Can't you just multiply out to get rid of the division?
Oops I forgot to include that in the above.

[tex](x^2 + 1)^2 = 4x [/tex]

Then square root for it to become:

[tex] x^2+1 = 2 \sqrt[2]{x} [/tex]

am I on the right path? I've done it on paper multiple times but I've come out with answers that don't come close to what I have of the function when it's graphed out.

bnosam said:
Oops I forgot to include that in the above.

[tex](x^2 + 1)^2 = 4x [/tex]
No, that would be true if the other side of the preceding equation were 1. But it was 0.

haruspex said:
No, that would be true if the other side of the preceding equation were 1. But it was 0.

Do you mean something like this?

[tex] 0 = 4x (x^2 + 1)^{-2} [/tex]

That's not necessary. If a/b = 0, then it must be that a = 0. Can you use this idea to solve 4x/(x2 + 1)2 = 0?

Mark44 said:
That's not necessary. If a/b = 0, then it must be that a = 0. Can you use this idea to solve 4x/(x2 + 1)2 = 0?

So [tex] 0 = \frac{4x}{(x^2 + 1)^2} [/tex]

[tex] 0 = \frac{4(0)}{((0)^2 + 1)^2} [/tex]

[tex] 0 = \frac{0}{(1)^2} [/tex]

[tex] 0 = \frac{0}{1} [/tex]

Is that what you mean?

Think about what Mark said. If you have a fraction [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex] and if this fraction equals zero, then a=0. Now can you apply that same idea to your problem? You also have a fraction... so...?

Mentallic said:
Think about what Mark said. If you have a fraction [itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex] and if this fraction equals zero, then a=0. Now can you apply that same idea to your problem? You also have a fraction... so...?

Unfortunately, I don't follow and I'm all out of ideas.

bnosam said:
So [tex] 0 = \frac{4x}{(x^2 + 1)^2} [/tex]
Multiply both sides of the equation above by (x2 + 1)2. What do you get?
bnosam said:
[tex] 0 = \frac{4(0)}{((0)^2 + 1)^2} [/tex]

[tex] 0 = \frac{0}{(1)^2} [/tex]

[tex] 0 = \frac{0}{1} [/tex]

Is that what you mean?
No, it isn't. You're supposed to be solving the equation for x.

Mark44 said:
Multiply both sides of the equation above by (x2 + 1)2. What do you get?

No, it isn't. You're supposed to be solving the equation for x.

[tex] (x^2 + 1)^2 = 4x [/tex]

bnosam said:
Unfortunately, I don't follow and I'm all out of ideas.
Ok, so if a/b=0 then a=0. Does this make sense? Because if a=0 then it doesn't matter if b=1, b=2 or b=1000, a/b will still be equal to 0.
Now, your equation is

[tex]\frac{4x}{(x^2+1)^2}=0[/tex]

Where we have the same situation: we have a fraction a/b where [itex]a=4x[/itex] and [itex]b=(x^2+1)^2[/itex]
So again, using the same idea, if that fraction equals zero, then we only need to set the numerator to zero. So in this case, 4x=0.

bnosam said:
No. If you multiply both sides by the denominator, on the left side you'll get [itex]0\cdot(x^2+1)^2[/itex] and 0 times anything is 0.

Mentallic said:
Ok, so if a/b=0 then a=0. Does this make sense? Because if a=0 then it doesn't matter if b=1, b=2 or b=1000, a/b will still be equal to 0.
Now, your equation is

[tex]\frac{4x}{(x^2+1)^2}=0[/tex]

Where we have the same situation: we have a fraction a/b where [itex]a=4x[/itex] and [itex]b=(x^2+1)^2[/itex]
So again, using the same idea, if that fraction equals zero, then we only need to set the numerator to zero. So in this case, 4x=0.

No. If you multiply both sides by the denominator, on the left side you'll get [itex]0\cdot(x^2+1)^2[/itex] and 0 times anything is 0.

I think I kind of understand but it still kind of jumbles up in my head and still half confused I think.

I understand that to result in it to be 0, a would have to equal to 0, regardless of the value of b.

bnosam said:
I think I kind of understand but it still kind of jumbles up in my head and still half confused I think.

I understand that to result in it to be 0, a would have to equal to 0, regardless of the value of b.
Yes, but only as long as b isn't zero. In your case that's not a concern, because x2 + 1 is always ≥ 1, so (x2 + 1)2 ≥ 1 as well.

bnosam said:
If you had [itex] \frac{4x}{(x^2 + 1)^2} = 1 [/itex] then multiplying out would give you [itex] 4x= 1 \times (x^2 + 1)^2 =(x^2 + 1)^2 [/itex]
But you have [itex] \frac{4x}{(x^2 + 1)^2} = 0 [/itex]. Multiply that out the same way, very carefully.

1. What are critical points in a function?

Critical points are values on a graph where the slope of the function is either zero or undefined. This means that the function is either at a local minimum, maximum, or point of inflection.

2. How do you find the critical points of a function?

To find the critical points of a function, you need to take the first derivative of the function and set it equal to zero. Then, solve for the variable to determine the x-values of the critical points.

3. What do the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function tell us?

The increasing and decreasing intervals of a function show where the function is either increasing or decreasing, respectively. This information can help us understand the behavior of the function and locate any maximum or minimum points.

4. How do you determine the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function?

To determine the increasing and decreasing intervals of a function, you need to analyze the sign of the derivative of the function. When the derivative is positive, the function is increasing, and when it is negative, the function is decreasing.

5. Can critical points and increasing/decreasing intervals help us sketch a graph of a function?

Yes, critical points and increasing/decreasing intervals provide valuable information that can help us sketch a graph of a function. They can help us determine the shape and behavior of the graph, including any local maximum or minimum points.