Graphing Function in Excel & AutoCAD

In summary, the conversation discusses different options for graphing a function of x on a computer. The speaker mentions using MS Excel or AutoCAD, but is unsure of how to directly graph a function in AutoCAD. The other person suggests using MathCad or a basic tool like GNU Plot, and also provides a link to a website that can help with graphing in Excel. They also mention that Excel can create a table of data and plot it, and provide a helpful tutorial for doing so.
TSN79
I'm trying to sketch a graph from a function of x on my computer. I suppose I can probably get this done in MS Excel, but I would then like to get this graph into AutoCAD since I don't know of any way to graph a function directly there. Is this possible at all...? I'm not sure how to get this done in Excel either, so if you can tell me that also that would be great! :)

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
TSN79 said:
I'm trying to sketch a graph from a function of x on my computer. I suppose I can probably get this done in MS Excel, but I would then like to get this graph into AutoCAD since I don't know of any way to graph a function directly there. Is this possible at all...? I'm not sure how to get this done in Excel either, so if you can tell me that also that would be great! :)

I like MathCad. If you don't have a package like that, try this:

http://cs.jsu.edu/mcis/faculty/leathrum/Mathlets/grapher.html

I am not a heavy Excel user, but I would guess there are plenty of ways to graph in it. And, I would think one could get an add-on package if there is not a default graphing mechanism. I do know that you can create a table of data and plot it in Excel.

you can try a basic tool such as GNU Plot.

1. How do I create a graph in Excel?

In Excel, you can create a graph by first selecting the data you want to graph, then going to the "Insert" tab and choosing the type of graph you want to create (such as a line graph, bar graph, etc.). You can also customize your graph by changing the labels, colors, and other formatting options.

2. How do I add a trendline to my graph in Excel?

To add a trendline to your graph in Excel, first click on the graph to select it, then go to the "Design" tab and click on "Add Chart Element." Choose "Trendline" from the dropdown menu, and then select the type of trendline you want to add (such as linear, exponential, etc.). You can also customize the trendline by changing the color and style.

3. Can I export a graph from Excel to AutoCAD?

Yes, you can export a graph from Excel to AutoCAD by first selecting the graph in Excel, then copying it (Ctrl+C or Command+C). In AutoCAD, go to the "Edit" tab and click on "Paste" (or use the shortcut Ctrl+V or Command+V). This will paste the graph as an image into your AutoCAD file.

4. How do I create a 3D graph in AutoCAD?

To create a 3D graph in AutoCAD, you can use the "3D Graph" command (found under the "Insert" tab). This will allow you to select the data points you want to graph, and then choose the type of 3D graph you want to create (such as a surface or scatter plot). You can also customize the appearance of the graph by changing the colors and labels.

5. Can I create a graph in AutoCAD without using Excel?

Yes, you can create a graph in AutoCAD without using Excel by using the "Graph" command (found under the "Insert" tab). This will allow you to manually enter data points and choose the type of graph you want to create. However, using Excel to create the graph and then exporting it to AutoCAD may be more efficient and allow for more customization options.