Angle vs Time Graph: What is it Called?

In summary, the conversation discussed a graph of angle vs time which was circular in order to avoid a big shift when the angle crossed over from 359 degrees to 1 degree. The name for this type of graph was identified as an Archimedean spiral, which is a special case of the graph with constant derivative. The individual asking the question was interested in making a similar graph for orbital elements vs time and was seeking guidance on conventions for such a graph. Ultimately, the decision on how to plot the graph would depend on the specific information being represented.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I once saw a graph of angle vs time. In order to avoid a big shift in the graph when the angle crossed over from 359 degrees to 1 degree, this graph was circular, with time along the radius of the circle.

Is there a name for this type of graph?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
tony873004 said:
I once saw a graph of angle vs time. In order to avoid a big shift in the graph when the angle crossed over from 359 degrees to 1 degree, this graph was circular, with time along the radius of the circle.

Is there a name for this type of graph?
Do you mean something like this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polar_coordinate_system

Yes, except the 3 and 4 in that graph represent the magnitude of the vector. In the graph I'm think of (sorry, can't find a link to it at the moment), the 3 and 4 would represent time. The angle would change over time, so the green and blue lines would not be straight lines, and 1 standard deviation would be shaded around the line.

I meant, e.g. the graph of the Archimedean spiral on that Wiki-page. Polar coordinates is the closest I know to describe what you could have meant. Sorry, if it doesn't help.

Thanks, Archimedean spiral looks like the term I was searching for.

tony873004 said:
Thanks, Archimedean spiral looks like the term I was searching for.
Well, it is a special case of your graph, with constant derivative. I don't know if there is some name for the general case.

mfb said:
Well, it is a special case of your graph, with constant derivative. I don't know if there is some name for the general case.
Thanks, I noticed that after I posted. Archimedean spiral is just the data plotted in the type of graph I was describing.
The reason I'm asking is because I want to make such a graph of orbital elements vs. time, and if there is a convention that is commonly used I want to use that.
For example, would time run from the center to the circumference (that would be my guess), or from the circumference to the center? Is 0 degrees the along the +x axis? I'm also guessing yes. And if there is no convention, then I get to do it my way!

There are probably thousands of types of graphs out there. The 'right' choice depends only on which information has to be in it and then minimizing on how long it takes to read the information it provides. Whether the time starts or ends in the origin will likely depend on whether your data provide a starting or an ending point of time. Time might as well be along a radius or a varying radius like during the drawing of a spiral.
I guess you would have better chances to get a satisfying answer if you show us an example of how you would draw it and then read the feedbacks. (Sorry if I sounded strange, I'm lacking some English vocabulary.)

Orbital elements can have other critical points if the orbit changes over time.

Seeing such a plot, I would expect time to increase with increasing radius, and having zero angle to the right is probably a good choice as well.

1. What is an angle vs time graph?

An angle vs time graph is a visual representation of how an angle changes over a period of time. It shows the relationship between the angle and time, and is often used to analyze the motion of an object.

2. What is the x-axis and y-axis in an angle vs time graph?

The x-axis in an angle vs time graph represents time, while the y-axis represents the angle. This means that as time passes, the angle changes and is plotted on the y-axis.

3. How do you interpret an angle vs time graph?

An angle vs time graph can be interpreted by looking at the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a faster change in angle, while a flatter slope indicates a slower change. The direction of the slope also indicates the direction of the angle change.

4. What is the difference between a positive and negative slope in an angle vs time graph?

A positive slope in an angle vs time graph indicates an increasing angle, while a negative slope indicates a decreasing angle. This means that if the angle is increasing, the object is moving in a clockwise direction, and if the angle is decreasing, the object is moving in a counterclockwise direction.

5. What are some real-life applications of an angle vs time graph?

An angle vs time graph is commonly used in physics and engineering to analyze the motion of objects. It can also be used in sports to track the movement of athletes, such as in gymnastics or figure skating. Additionally, it can be used in astronomy to track the movement of celestial bodies, such as the rotation of planets.