Get Expert Graphing Calculator Help for Polar Mode Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of graphing r²=sinθ in Polar mode on a TI-83 or 84 calculator. The individual has changed the calculator to use Polar GC, but is having trouble because the calculator can only graph r=\sqrt{sin\theta} instead of r²=\sin\theta. The conversation also mentions that the calculator only graphs half of the lemniscate on 0, 2pi and suggests using r=\sqrt{\theta} and -\sqrt{\theta} simultaneously. However, it is noted that this will only work if negative r values are allowed for a value of theta between pi and 2pi. Finally, the conversation poses the question of how to graph a le
Bachelier
I am trying to graph: r²= sinθ in Polar mode.

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you change your calculator to use Polar GC and not Rect GC (assuming you're using a TI-83 or 84).

DMOC said:
Did you change your calculator to use Polar GC and not Rect GC (assuming you're using a TI-83 or 84).

Yes, I did. I know how to graph polar curves, but the issue I am having is with r square.
The calculator can only graph r !

Graph

[tex]r= \sqrt{sin \theta }}[/tex]

instead. r is always positive anyway so you shouldn't miss anything

it only graphs half the lemniscate on 0, 2pi

the only way I could find to draw it is using r= square root theta and - square root theta simultaneousely.

It should only graph half. If theta is between pi and 2pi, sin(theta) is negative and no value of r will square to a negative number.

EDIT: Unless you allow negative r for a value of theta between pi and 2pi. In which case there's probably no way to graph this on your graphing calculator with a single equation

Office_Shredder said:
It should only graph half. If theta is between pi and 2pi, sin(theta) is negative and no value of r will square to a negative number.

EDIT: Unless you allow negative r for a value of theta between pi and 2pi. In which case there's probably no way to graph this on your graphing calculator with a single equation

yeah, I missed that.

But how can we draw a lemniscate then?

1. How do I enter equations into a graphing calculator?

To enter an equation into a graphing calculator, first make sure the calculator is turned on. Then, locate the "Y=" button and press it. This will take you to the equation screen. Use the arrow keys to move to the desired equation slot and use the keyboard to enter the equation. Make sure to use the correct syntax for your calculator model. Once the equation is entered, press the "Enter" or "Graph" button to see the graph.

2. How do I adjust the window settings on a graphing calculator?

To adjust the window settings on a graphing calculator, press the "Window" button. This will take you to a menu where you can adjust the x and y ranges, as well as the scale and labels on the axes. Use the arrow keys to navigate and the number keys to enter values. Press "Enter" once you have made your adjustments. You can also use the "Zoom" button to quickly adjust the window to fit your graph.

3. Can I use a graphing calculator to solve equations?

Yes, most graphing calculators have a built-in solver function that can be accessed through the "Math" or "Calc" menu. Simply enter the equation you want to solve and press "Enter". The calculator will usually give you the option to solve for a specific variable or solve the equation numerically.

4. How do I graph multiple equations on a single graph?

To graph multiple equations on a single graph, enter each equation into a different slot on the "Y=" screen. Then, use the arrow keys to select each equation and press "Enter" to graph it. You can also use the "Trace" or "Table" function to see the points of intersection between the different graphs.

5. How do I save and transfer graphs from a graphing calculator to a computer?

Most graphing calculators have the ability to connect to a computer via USB cable. Check your calculator's manual for specific instructions on how to transfer graphs. Once connected, you can use software such as TI Connect or graphing calculator emulators to save and transfer your graphs to your computer.