Creating Fun Graphs with a Graphing Calculator: Tips and Tricks

In summary, Jamond is providing a summary of the content. He is describing the equations he used to create a butterfly, and he is also mentioning that he can graph the equations simultaneously.
jamondperry
Hey Guys,

In PreCalculus, today, I received a fairly difficult project -- probably not as hard as you would think, but I do need help. We are asked to create one picture on our Graphing Calculators. I have done about 11 so far, but none are as I like them.

This is what I put into the Y Values:

Y1= Ö(81-X )
Y2= -Ö(81-X2)
Y3= Ö(4-(X+3)2)+3.7
Y4= Ö(4-(X-3)2)+3.7
Y5= -Ö(1-X2)
Y6= -Ö(16-X2)-2
Y7= -Ö(1-(X+3)2)+3
Y8= -Ö(1-(X-3)2)+3
Y9= -.7abs X+12

*Note: The Ö symbol stands for the square root symbol. The big 2s at the ends of the Xs stands for "squared". I couldn't find a way to make them smaller.

Here are my window values:

Xmin= -12
Xmax= 12
Xscl= 1
Ymin= -10
Ymax= 15
Yscl= 1

This should produce a smiley face. Can you show me some of your graphics and formulas you have used? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks so much; I really really need this! This is an urgent question.

Thanks,

Jamond

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't tell what you're asking us to help you with. Are you having trouble putting those equations into your calculator? Are you trying to come up with your own equations to make a smiley face?

- Warren

No sir.

I know how to compute those formulas in my calculator. I know it is a smiley face, because I put it into see that it was!

Anyway, I was giving you an example of what I was talking about. I wanted you all to give me some formulas for another picture. All the other pictures, I have come up with are not to caliber.

Thanks,

Jamond

Well, if the objective is to create a picture, why don't you write a program to create the desired picture? My sugestion: a fractal (eg. Koch's snow flake or one created by you).

To find information about fractals, TI-83 algorithms and other stuff...use google.

Last edited:
So... I take it your teacher gave you the "smilie face" equations, then asked you to find another set of equations to draw another kind of picture.

Next, you came here to see if someone would do your project for you by simply providing you such a set of equations.

That's not how things work here -- we do not simply give you answers, and we're not going to do your project for you. Perhaps you should tell us what you're trying to do -- what kind of picture you're trying to draw, and what you're stuck on -- and we can give you some help.

- Warren

Well I created a butterfly many times...
I used in the normal window, (-10 to 10 or view standard)

Edited: I'm not gonig to give you my equations but they're simple...2 quads, 2 cubes, 4 logs.

And it works...pretty good. Especially if you graph them in simultaneous...that should impress him.

ALso...using 2 sin and 2 cos equations you can make a mini chain...
pretty simple but maybe it helps.

1. What is a graphing calculator project?

A graphing calculator project is a project that involves using a graphing calculator to solve mathematical problems, create graphs, and analyze data. It typically involves programming and creating functions on the calculator to perform specific tasks.

2. How do I choose a graphing calculator for my project?

There are several factors to consider when choosing a graphing calculator for your project, such as budget, required features, and compatibility with your school or course. It's important to do some research and read reviews to find the best option for your needs.

3. What are some common functions used in a graphing calculator project?

Some common functions used in a graphing calculator project include linear equations, quadratic equations, trigonometric functions, exponential and logarithmic functions, and statistical functions. These functions can be used to solve equations, create graphs, and analyze data.

4. Are there any tips for creating a successful graphing calculator project?

Yes, here are a few tips to help you create a successful graphing calculator project:

• Start early and plan out your project to allow for enough time to complete it.
  • Familiarize yourself with the functions and capabilities of your graphing calculator.
  • Use clear and organized coding techniques to make your project easy to follow.
  • Test your project thoroughly to ensure it is functioning correctly.
  • Be creative and try to incorporate unique features or functions in your project.

5. Can I use a graphing calculator project for different types of math problems?

Yes, a graphing calculator project can be used for various types of math problems, such as algebra, geometry, calculus, and statistics. It all depends on the functions and capabilities of your calculator and how you program it to solve different equations and analyze data.