1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing calculator

1. Apr 25, 2006 #1
    I'm thinking of buying a graphing calculator, I think my options are TI-89 Titanium or the HP 49g+, so do u guys know which is better for an EE and if there is any other choices.
    Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2006 #2

ranger

Gold Member

I have the TI-89 Titanium. It has lots of features. One of the best feature is a built in computer algebra system (CAS). I've never used the HP 49g+, but upon checking the specs of the HP 49g+, it also looks like a good buy.

4. Apr 27, 2006 #3
    ranger, first I really wanna thank you for your post , but there is something that i must say, can you please reread your post; first you tell me that the ti is good and then you say the hp is a good buy, you only added to my confusion, again thanks for the time you spent for on your post but I just had to comment.

5. Apr 27, 2006 #4
    I wanted to buy hp 49G+ but I read too many reviews. Everbody complains the hp has keyboard problems, that they don't register and are loud.

So I changed my mind and bought ti-89 which works flawlessly.

6. Apr 27, 2006 #5
    I love the TI-89. My friend has the HP, and the keys are insanely loud. The only thing the HP has on the TI is that it has a slot for a memory card. However, the TI can connect to a PC via USB.

7. May 13, 2006 #6
    Get the TI. The HP interface with the pc is archaic at best. TI has really made things easy with the USB interface and the current round of TI-Connect software. I've had both the 89 and the HP and I love my 89. The keys were annoying on the HP. I also hated the interface on the HP, I didn't think it was very well thought out. However it was a powerful machine. I'm NOT saying it is more powerful then the 89 however (maybe faster though).

I couldn't recommend the 89 more. It rocks. Although a TI Voyage might be nice too :)

8. May 13, 2006 #7
    Get a slide rule. No batteries.

9. May 14, 2006 #8
    abdo375: Is this for School or for work? If it is for work, I recommend investing the money and time to learn MathCAD. You will get a lot more out of it then what you will get out of any calculator, IMHO.

If it is for School, then I'd go with the TI-89 as it is easy to use. The pretty print helps out a lot to track input errors such as misplaced parentheses. The HP line of calculators use reserve polish notation. Once learned, you can use it faster then someone using a TI-89 because you won't have to use parentheses. So there is that to consider.

10. May 14, 2006 #9
    Yep I'd have to say the TI-89. I have the regular 89, but I did use the Titanium for a while (they're basically the same, just look different and the Titanium has more memory). I absolutely couldn't be happier with my TI. I love it. :)

11. May 14, 2006 #10

dav2008

Gold Member

Is postfix the only notation or do you have a choice between that and infix (maybe prefix as well?)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?