Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing calculator

1. Apr 25, 2006 #1
    I'm thinking of buying a graphing calculator, I think my options are TI-89 Titanium or the HP 49g+, so do u guys know which is better for an EE and if there is any other choices.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2006 #2

Gold Member

I have the TI-89 Titanium. It has lots of features. One of the best feature is a built in computer algebra system (CAS). I've never used the HP 49g+, but upon checking the specs of the HP 49g+, it also looks like a good buy.
  4. Apr 27, 2006 #3
    ranger, first I really wanna thank you for your post , but there is something that i must say, can you please reread your post; first you tell me that the ti is good and then you say the hp is a good buy, you only added to my confusion, again thanks for the time you spent for on your post but I just had to comment.
  5. Apr 27, 2006 #4
    I wanted to buy hp 49G+ but I read too many reviews. Everbody complains the hp has keyboard problems, that they don't register and are loud.

So I changed my mind and bought ti-89 which works flawlessly.
  6. Apr 27, 2006 #5
    I love the TI-89. My friend has the HP, and the keys are insanely loud. The only thing the HP has on the TI is that it has a slot for a memory card. However, the TI can connect to a PC via USB.
  7. May 13, 2006 #6
    Get the TI. The HP interface with the pc is archaic at best. TI has really made things easy with the USB interface and the current round of TI-Connect software. I've had both the 89 and the HP and I love my 89. The keys were annoying on the HP. I also hated the interface on the HP, I didn't think it was very well thought out. However it was a powerful machine. I'm NOT saying it is more powerful then the 89 however (maybe faster though).

I couldn't recommend the 89 more. It rocks. Although a TI Voyage might be nice too :)
  8. May 13, 2006 #7
    Get a slide rule. No batteries.
  9. May 14, 2006 #8
    abdo375: Is this for School or for work? If it is for work, I recommend investing the money and time to learn MathCAD. You will get a lot more out of it then what you will get out of any calculator, IMHO.

If it is for School, then I'd go with the TI-89 as it is easy to use. The pretty print helps out a lot to track input errors such as misplaced parentheses. The HP line of calculators use reserve polish notation. Once learned, you can use it faster then someone using a TI-89 because you won't have to use parentheses. So there is that to consider.
  10. May 14, 2006 #9
    Yep I'd have to say the TI-89. I have the regular 89, but I did use the Titanium for a while (they're basically the same, just look different and the Titanium has more memory). I absolutely couldn't be happier with my TI. I love it. :)
  11. May 14, 2006 #10

Gold Member

Is postfix the only notation or do you have a choice between that and infix (maybe prefix as well?)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?