Finding Points in the Third Quadrant Using the Distance Formula

In summary, the homework statement is looking for a point that is a distance 5 from the point P(1, 3). TheAttempt at a Solution states that the point is (-2, -1) from P.
adillhoff

Homework Statement

Find the point with coordinates of the form (2a, a) that is in the third quadrant and is a distance 5 from P(1, 3)

Homework Equations

[tex]
\begin{distance}
d(P_1, P_2) = \sqrt{(x_2 - x_1)^2 + (y_2 - y_1)^2}
\end{distance}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To be quite honest I have no idea where to begin. The examples in my book do not cover this specific type of problem. I think I could treat P(1, 3) as the center of a circle with a radius of 5, but at this point in the book we have not covered circles yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
It isn't necessary to know about circles, but I'll just teach you a little something quickly about them before moving on.

If you have some point P(a,b) and you want to find a point Q(x,y) which is a distance r from P then by the distance formula we have

[tex]r=\sqrt{(x-a)^2+(y-b)^2}[/tex]

But we don't know in which direction Q is from P so this formula is pretty much giving us a circle with radius r around the point P. This is pretty much the circle formula!

For a circle with radius r and centre (a,b) we have

[tex](x-a)^2+(y-b)^2=r^2[/tex]

ok so back to the point. We want to find a point Q(2a,a) a distance of 5 from the point P(1,3). Shoving this into the distance (or circle) formula, we get

[tex]25=(2a-1)^2+(a-3)^2[/tex]

Now solve for a. This will be a quadratic in a so you need to turn it into the appropriate form and use the quadratic formula - or factorizing, if that works.

I wasn't quite sure if I could solve it that way, but it makes a lot of sense. After solving for a using the quadratic formula I get a = 1 - 2 and a = 1 + 2. The problem stated that the point is in the third quadrant which means a < 0. So I am left with a = 1 - 2 = -1.

The answer ends up being (2(-1), -1) or (-2, -1)

Thanks!

You're welcome :smile:

1. What is the Distance Formula for graphing?

The distance formula for graphing is a mathematical equation used to calculate the distance between two points on a graph. It is represented as d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2), where (x1, y1) and (x2, y2) are the coordinates of the two points.

2. How is the Distance Formula used in real life?

The Distance Formula is used in many real-life applications, such as calculating the distance between two cities on a map, finding the shortest distance between two locations for navigation, and determining the length of a diagonal line on a rectangular object.

3. What is the difference between Distance Formula and Pythagorean Theorem?

The Distance Formula and Pythagorean Theorem are closely related but serve different purposes. The Distance Formula calculates the distance between two points on a graph, while the Pythagorean Theorem is used to find the length of a side in a right triangle when given the lengths of the other two sides.

4. Can the Distance Formula be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, the Distance Formula can be used in three-dimensional space. It is represented as d = √((x2-x1)^2 + (y2-y1)^2 + (z2-z1)^2), where (x1, y1, z1) and (x2, y2, z2) are the coordinates of the two points in three-dimensional space.

5. What are the limitations of using the Distance Formula?

The Distance Formula can only be used to calculate the distance between two points on a graph. It cannot be used to find the distance between a point and a line or between two lines. Additionally, it only works for finding straight-line distance and cannot be used for curved distances.