• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Graphing in 3-d

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
I am having difficulty graphing equatioins in 3D for instance...

what does the graph in 3-D look like x^2 + z^2 ≤ 9?

Apparently its a cylinder extending along the y-axis. My initial guess was it was a 2-D circle with radius 3 on the xz plane. Anyways how should I have known it extended along the y-axis?

Answers and Replies

I am having difficulty graphing equatioins in 3D for instance...

what does the graph in 3-D look like x^2 + z^2 ≤ 9?

Apparently its a cylinder extending along the y-axis. My initial guess was it was a 2-D circle with radius 3 on the xz plane. Anyways how should I have known it extended along the y-axis?
The statement of the problem probably says something about graphing the set of points (x, y, z) such that x2 + z2 ≤ 9.

Since the inequality doesn't include a y term, the y coordinates are completely arbitrary. That's why the graph extends along the y-axis.

Another question... the 3d picture is on the paint doc and I am wondering why the entire surface is only in the first octant because isn't the point (which I hightligted in the paint document) in the 3rd octant???

Attachments

That graph is screwy.

The graph of the equation z = 2x2 + 2y2 - 4 is a paraboloid that opens up from its vertex at (0, 0, -4), and whose central axis lies along the z-axis. In your picture, the thing appears to be in the first octant.

LCKurtz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Another question... the 3d picture is on the paint doc and I am wondering why the entire surface is only in the first octant because isn't the point (which I hightligted in the paint document) in the 3rd octant???
It isn't in the first octant. It is correct. The planes that look like the coordinate planes aren't ##x=0## and ##y=0##. Look how the axes are labeled.

It isn't in the first octant. It is correct. The planes that look like the coordinate planes aren't ##x=0## and ##y=0##. Look how the axes are labeled.
Good point. I saw how the axes are labeled, but I didn't notice that the planes you see aren't the regular coordinate planes.