1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing in 3-d

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    I am having difficulty graphing equatioins in 3D for instance...

what does the graph in 3-D look like x^2 + z^2 ≤ 9?

Apparently its a cylinder extending along the y-axis. My initial guess was it was a 2-D circle with radius 3 on the xz plane. Anyways how should I have known it extended along the y-axis?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

The statement of the problem probably says something about graphing the set of points (x, y, z) such that x2 + z2 ≤ 9.

Since the inequality doesn't include a y term, the y coordinates are completely arbitrary. That's why the graph extends along the y-axis.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3
    Another question... the 3d picture is on the paint doc and I am wondering why the entire surface is only in the first octant because isn't the point (which I hightligted in the paint document) in the 3rd octant???

Attached Files:

• 3d.jpg
      3d.jpg
      File size:
      27.9 KB
      Views:
  5. Aug 23, 2012 #4

Mark44

That graph is screwy.

The graph of the equation z = 2x2 + 2y2 - 4 is a paraboloid that opens up from its vertex at (0, 0, -4), and whose central axis lies along the z-axis. In your picture, the thing appears to be in the first octant.

6. Aug 23, 2012 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It isn't in the first octant. It is correct. The planes that look like the coordinate planes aren't ##x=0## and ##y=0##. Look how the axes are labeled.

7. Aug 24, 2012 #6

Mark44

Good point. I saw how the axes are labeled, but I didn't notice that the planes you see aren't the regular coordinate planes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook