1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing nuclear stuff for lab

1. Nov 26, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Create a secondary graph that allows you to graphically determine the decay constant, k, for the observed nucklear decay of 137Ba*.

2. Relevant equations
    0.693/k = half life
    Something with an LN in it

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have no idea what it means by "secondary graph". I have absolutely no guidance on what the "secondary graph" is. My first graph was radiation counts vs time, but now it wants this elusive "secondary graph" that will supposedly help me to "graphically determine the decay constant".

I made a linearized graph, if that means anything, by taking LN of the Y axis (radiation counts). I don't see how this helps me though.

Note that in this lab, 137Ba* is decaying to 137Ba through photon emission (gamma radiation)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I guess this is meant by "secondary graph" (where the "primary graph" was the linear scale).

You have an equation there for your fit. Attach units to it and after some algebra you get your lifetime out of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted