1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing of y² graphs

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    Hi everyone. I am familiar with the graphing of y² graph which is essentially sqrt of the graph then reflected in the x-axis.

However, I am confused at the points where the y= graph cuts the x-axis. According to differentiation, the gradient of the sqrt y graph should have a sqrt y at the denominator using quotient rule. If y=0, the gradient should be infinity. However, I do see some graphs with some other shapes (some crossing, some flat) at the x-axis so Im wondering about this.

Hope someone can help to clarify my problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2

whs

Have you tried simply plugging in points and making a rough graph?

4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    Yeah of course that would work but I was wondering if there is a general rule to see aside from just plotting it out since some question dont give the equation but just give a pictorial graph and ask you to transform.

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Can you be more specific about what you're trying to do? This doesn't make any sense to me. An ordinary graph of a function y = f(x) is a plot of the points (x, y) that satisfy the equation y = f(x). Are you trying to see what you get when you plot the pairs (x, y^2)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook