1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing Parabolas =/

1. Apr 21, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For problems 1 and 2 determine if the quadratic opens up or down. Find the vertex. Find any intercepts and use these things to graph the quadratic equation.

2. Relevant equations

1. y=-3x^2+12x-9

2. y=2x^2+3x+2

3. The attempt at a solution
    For number 1:
    ok well i determined the parabola opens down becuase a(-3) is negitive. Hope i got that right.
    Then i found the vertex by h=-b/2a becuase that will give me the x cordinate of the vertex so i did -12/2(-3) = 2. 2 is the x cordinate of the vertex so i put 2 into the original equation to get the y cordinate
    Y=-3(2)^2+12(2)+9=21 i get 21 as my Y Cordinate.

Now for the intercepts i had a friend help me with this and he said there are no y int for a parabola...he also to me to take the equation -3x^2+12x-9=0 set it to 0 like that.

Then he told me to divid by 3 and get x^2-4x+3=0 then factor to get x=3 and x= 1 and those are my x ints for the parabola is this correct? any help would be greaty apriciated

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 21, 2010 #2
    Looks good so far except that at this stage you wrote +9, but in the original equation you wrote -9.

That isn't true. The y intercept is the value of y=-3x2+12x-9 when x = 0. To find it, just set x equal to 0, and solve for y.

That's right. (Another method is to use the quadratic formula.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook