1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing Problem Situations:

1. Oct 30, 2005 #1
    Okay, here is the problem, ; Remesh likes to run outdoors and ride his bicycle at the veledrome. He burns about 400 calories/h running, and 300/h riding his bike. It costs $6/h to ride in the veledrome. Ramesh hopes to develope a weekly exersise program that will burn 4800 calories, cost no more than $24, and require a maximum of 8 hours...... Now I need the restrictions to graph this problem, (x=running/h; y=bike/h) I so far have; x (> or equal to) 0, y (> or equal to) 0, x+y (< or equal to) 8, and y (< or equal to) 4. I think I'm missing one, and think it might have to do with the calories, so is 400x+300y (> or equal to) 4800. But would it be applicable to the hour restriction? Thanks in Advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2005 #2
    well the way i figure it it cannot be done in eight hours, even if he runs the entire 8 hours he is only burning 3200 cal

4. Oct 30, 2005 #3
    Wow, I see that now, the problem is unsolvable, thanks Mike, you saved me a lot of writing! lol

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?