1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing question

1. Oct 26, 2003 #1
    I need some help please. I'm not that good at sketching graphs out.

Here's the problem. k(x) = log3 (x+9)
    (the number three is the base)

What steps do I have to do in order to graph this problem? Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Didn't you just post a similar question about an exponential?

General rule: If you already know the graph of y= f(x) and have a new graph that involves changing x before applying f, that changes the graph horizontally. That is, adding or subtracting a number from x moves the graph. Multiplying or dividing x stretches or shrinks the graph. If you change the value AFTER applying f, that's a change in y and changes the graph vertically.

For example, you know, I presume, that the graph of y= x2 is a parabola with vertex at (0,0) passing through (1,1) and (-1,1). The graph of y= (x-2)2 is that exact same graph moved to the right 2 places (the vertex of the "base" graph, y= x2 is at x=0 and we have replaced x by x-2: x-2= 0 when x= 2).
    The vertex of y= (x-2)2 has vertex at (2,0) and passes through (1+2,1)=(3,1) and (-1+2,1)= (1,1) but looks exactly like y= x2 otherwise.
    The graph of y= x2-2 is also a parabola but it is moved DOWN 2 because, since we have already done the squaring before subtracting 2, that is a change in y: the vertex is at (0,-2) and the graph passes through (-1,1-2)= (-1,-1) and (1,1-2)= (1,-1).

The graph of y= log3(x) (the "base" function here), like any logarithm, is undefined for x<=0, is asymptotic to the y-axis, passes through (1,0) and increases to infinity as x goes to infinity.
    Adding 9 to x "moves" the graph 9 places to the left. The asymptote y-axis is, of course, x=0. Replacing x by x+ 9 means the asymptote will be where x+9= 0 which is x= -9. Also, any logarithm graph passes through (1,0) because log(1)= 0. x+9= 1 when x= -8 so
    log3(x+9) passes through (-8,0).
    The graph of y= log3(x+9) is asymptotic to the line x= -9 and passes through (-8,0). In shape, it is exactly the same as
    y= log3(x).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?