1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing software

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    I know how to use Excel for accounting stuff, but it's a nightmare for graphs. Is there some shareware I could use? What do most people use?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2
    Excel is good for graphs. What problems are you having with it? What are you trying to do?

For a free math related program, check out:
    http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

4. Nov 6, 2006 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

5. Nov 6, 2006 #4
    Well, most of the problems are hit and miss, and I suppose I'll figure those out eventually. But one thing, is editing the font of one character of a title and not the whole title. Obviously subscripts are used a lot in lab reports, and I hate not being able to make one in the title. If this is what people really use, then I can learn it, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something better. Thanks!

6. Nov 6, 2006 #5
    Graphical Analysis (from Vernier) has my recommendation. I use it with my students for physics and physics labs. Quite a few students have gone on to request permission from other teachers to use it for lab reports rather than excel, because it's much more intuitive (and quicker) to use.

edit: it's not shareware, but the license is very reasonable (I believe a site license for our entire school is $70) There's a trial version if I recall correctly.

7. Nov 6, 2006 #6

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The best open-source plotting software on the planet is, without a doubt, gnuplot. I suggest downloading the Cygwin Unix-like environment for Windows, which includes gnuplot. Gnuplot will present a brief learning curve, but it's free and incredibly powerful.

I should also mention that Maxima uses gnuplot for its plotting work.

- Warren

8. Nov 6, 2006 #7
    Thank you very much, I knew there had to be something better.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?