Graphing Astroid y(t) & Calculating Tangent Vector

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation discusses graphing and calculating the tangent vector for the parametric equation y(t) = (cos³(t), sin³(t)). The tangent vector is calculated to be (-3cos²(t)sin(t), 3sin²(t)cos(t)) and it equals 0 at points where sin(t) = 0 or cos(t) = 0. The solution to the problem states that these points correspond to the 4 cusps of the astroid. However, the person is confused as to why the tangent vector is 0 at points (0,1) and (0,-1) and why they are not undefined. Another source suggests using the derivative dy/dx = (dx/dt
Buri

Homework Statement

Sketch the Astroid y(t) = (cos³(t), sin³(t)). Calculate its tangent vector at each point. At which points is the tangent vector 0?

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to go about graphing parametric equations. I calculated the tangent vector:

y'(t) = (-3cos²(t)sin(t), 3sin²(t)cos(t)) and this equals 0 whenever sin(t) = 0 or cos(t) = 0. I have the solution to this question and it says that the points at which y'(t) = 0 correspond to the 4 cusps of the astroid. But I don't even see why this is true. Why is the y'(t) = 0 at (0,1) and (0,-1)? Shouldn't they be undefined?

So could someone please help me out? Maybe tell me what is the general way of graphing parametric equations?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been reading another source and they seem to calculate dy/dx = (dx/dt)/(dz/dt) and state there is a vertical tangent when dz/dt = 0 and dx/dt is nonzero and a horizontal tangent when dx/dt = 0 and dz/dt is nonzero. Using this I do see why the astroid has four cusps. But using the tangent vector which is defined as simply the first derivative doesn't seem to help me. Using the other definition however, I can go about graphing this. Can anyone help me clear up this confusion?

Anyone?

1. What is an astroid in graphing?

An astroid is a mathematical curve that is shaped like a four-petaled flower. It is also known as a hypocycloid, and is commonly used in graphing and modeling various scientific phenomena.

2. How do you graph an astroid function, y(t)?

To graph an astroid function, y(t), you will need to plot points on a coordinate plane. The points should correspond to the values of t, which is the independent variable, and y(t), which is the dependent variable. Once all the points are plotted, you can connect them to form the astroid curve.

3. What is the equation for an astroid function, y(t)?

The equation for an astroid function, y(t), is y(t) = a(cos(t))^3, where a is a constant. This equation can also be written as x = a(cos(t))^3, as an astroid is symmetric about both the x and y axes.

4. How do you calculate the tangent vector of an astroid at a specific point?

To calculate the tangent vector of an astroid at a specific point, you will first need to find the derivative of the astroid function, y(t). Then, plug in the value of t for the point you want to find the tangent vector for. This will give you the slope of the tangent line at that point. The tangent vector will have the same slope and will point in the direction of the tangent line.

5. What is the significance of calculating the tangent vector of an astroid?

Calculating the tangent vector of an astroid can be useful in understanding the motion or behavior of objects or phenomena that follow an astroid-shaped path. It can also be used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing roller coasters, predicting the trajectory of projectiles, and analyzing the flow of fluids.