• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Graphing the Astroid

• Thread starter Buri
  • Start date

Homework Statement

Sketch the Astroid y(t) = (cos³(t), sin³(t)). Calculate its tangent vector at each point. At which points is the tangent vector 0?

2. The attempt at a solution

I'm not sure how to go about graphing parametric equations. I calculated the tangent vector:

y'(t) = (-3cos²(t)sin(t), 3sin²(t)cos(t)) and this equals 0 whenever sin(t) = 0 or cos(t) = 0. I have the solution to this quesiton and it says that the points at which y'(t) = 0 correspond to the 4 cusps of the astroid. But I don't even see why this is true. Why is the y'(t) = 0 at (0,1) and (0,-1)? Shouldn't they be undefined?

So could someone please help me out? Maybe tell me what is the general way of graphing parametric equations?

Thanks!

Answers and Replies

I've been reading another source and they seem to calculate dy/dx = (dx/dt)/(dz/dt) and state there is a vertical tangent when dz/dt = 0 and dx/dt is nonzero and a horizontal tangent when dx/dt = 0 and dz/dt is nonzero. Using this I do see why the astroid has four cusps. But using the tangent vector which is defined as simply the first derivative doesn't seem to help me. Using the other definition however, I can go about graphing this. Can anyone help me clear up this confusion?

Anyone?