1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing The ΔV between three charged metal electrodes

1. Feb 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Graphing The ΔV between three charged metal electrodes, in regards to x distance
    [​IMG]
    Here is the the picture I'm given with the problem. The hint tells me to assume that V=0 when x=0.

2. Relevant equations
    C=Q/ΔV

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought the electrodes looked kinda like a funky capacitor in series, so using Ceq=(1/c1+1/c2) I got ΔV=280 kV across the system. Mastering physics told me this is wrong. I am not sure if even know what equations to use on this one.

The other option maybe to use ΔV=∫Esdx where E=η/ε0
    With that ΔV=140 at 1 cm, it then should drop down to zero for 2>x>1, for electric fields can't occur in the middle of a conductor, and ΔV=0 at 3.

We didn't go over this much in class and I'm having trouble finding the relevant parts in my text book.

I solved it:

With that ΔV=140kV at 1 cm, it then should rate of change should be to zero for 2cm>x>1cm so it goes it remains at 140kV, for electric fields can't occur in the middle of a conductor, and it goes to ΔV=0 at 3cm.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted