Understanding the Thin Lens Equation: How to Graph and Interpret Results

In summary, the person is trying to graph the equation do=1/(f-1/di) but is unsure if they have the correct equation. They are also unsure of the values of the variables and are considering a 3D graph.
Larrytsai
I need to learn how to graph do=1/(f -1/di) like i have my measurements and when i plug in my di i get a do so what do i do with my old do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Larrytsai said:
do=1/(f -1/di)

Are you sure that's the correct equation? Shouldn't it be the following?

[tex]d_o=\frac{fd_i}{d_i-f}[/tex]

Tom Mattson said:
Are you sure that's the correct equation? Shouldn't it be the following?

[tex]d_o=\frac{fd_i}{d_i-f}[/tex]

umm that's the way my teacher wrote it. Iduno he might be wrong lol

I don't think you typed it in correctly. In the denominator you have f-1/di. You're subtracting a distance and an inverse distance. The units don't work out. Please check it. Also, when you say you need to graph the equation, do you know the values of any of the variables do, di, or f? If not, then you'll have to do a 3D graph, which is much more involved.

1. What is the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the relationship between the distance of an object from a lens, the distance of an image formed by the lens, and the focal length of the lens. It is represented as 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, where o is the object distance, i is the image distance, and f is the focal length of the lens.

2. How do I use the thin lens equation to graph a lens?

To graph a lens using the thin lens equation, you will need to plot the object distance, image distance, and focal length on a coordinate plane. Then, using the equation 1/o + 1/i = 1/f, solve for the missing variable. This will give you the coordinates for the image point, which you can then plot on the graph.

3. What is the significance of the focal length in the thin lens equation?

The focal length in the thin lens equation is a measure of the strength or power of the lens. It determines how much the light rays are bent as they pass through the lens, and thus, it affects the size and position of the image formed by the lens. A shorter focal length results in a more powerful lens, while a longer focal length results in a weaker lens.

4. What are the limitations of the thin lens equation?

The thin lens equation is based on several assumptions, such as the lens being thin, the object and image being on the same side of the lens, and the light rays passing through the center of the lens. These assumptions may not hold true in some cases, leading to inaccuracies in the calculated image position. Additionally, the equation does not take into account factors such as lens imperfections and the wavelength of light.

5. How is the thin lens equation used in real-life applications?

The thin lens equation is used in various fields, including optics, physics, and engineering. It is used to design and analyze optical systems, such as camera lenses and eyeglasses. It is also used in medical imaging techniques, such as x-rays and MRI scans, to determine the position and magnification of images formed by lenses. Additionally, the thin lens equation is used in the production of microscopes, telescopes, and other optical instruments.