1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing transformations help

1. Sep 27, 2007 #1
    1. Graph the function f(x)=x^2+4x+3 by starting with the graph of y=x^2 and using transformations.

3. I know the graph opens up, but I don't understand transformations or how to solve them, any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

bel

For any function f(x), f(x-a) moves the graph right by a units, a*f(x) stretches the graph by a factor of "a", f(ax) increases the frequency of the graph "a" times, f(x)-a moves a graph down by "a" units.

4. Sep 27, 2007 #3

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well to help you see better change f(x) into the completed square form

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you think physically (i.e. like a freefall problem), you can almost immediately pick out the meaning of the constant 3 term and the 4x term... then transform the original y=x^2 appropriately.

6. Sep 27, 2007 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

To repeat the very good advice of rock_freak667, complete the square- and it all shall be made clear to you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?