Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing Trigonometric Functions Question

1. Feb 21, 2005 #1
    Ok I can graph sin(x) , cos(x) , and tan(x) pretty easily, but I'm having a hard time graphing the csc, sec, and cot ones. For the first three I just found the values of pi/2 pi 3pi/2 and 2pi. So for example pi/2 for sin(x) would be sin 90 or sin pi/2 which is equal to 1. I then just put a dot at 1 and did the same thing for the rest of the angles in radian measure and then just draw a smooth curve through them, but how do I do this with csc, sec, and cot?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2005 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Consider what happens to csc([itex] \Theta [/itex]) When Sin([itex] \Theta [/itex])=0 .

4. Feb 22, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

In other words, you can't draw "smooth" graphs for sec(x) and csc(x) (or for that matter tan(x) and cot(x)). They aren't "smooth"- they aren't even continuous.

5. Feb 22, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should have seen that when u graphed "tan".You said u graphed it,so u have noticed that is "blows up" in certain points (namely where the cosine is zero).It's discontinuous as well.

Daniel.

6. Feb 22, 2005 #5
    [tex] \tan{x} [/tex], 'breaks up' at [tex] \frac{\pi}{2}(2k-1)[/tex], and [tex] \cot{x} [/tex], 'breaks up' at [tex] k\pi[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?