1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing with Mathematica

1. Mar 28, 2007 #1
    Hi all,

Right now I am doing some Diff equations homework but am having difficulty with a problem. The problem asks me to draw a direction field for the system [tex]x' = \left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & 1\\4 & 1\end{array}\right)\left(\begin{array}{cc}x_1\\x_2\end{array}\right)[/tex]

The proper Mathematica function is of the form PlotVectorField[{f(x), f(y)},{x, xmin, xmax}, {y, ymin, ymax}], where f(x) and F(y) are the function in terms of x and y. I understand how to do this for a simple function such as [tex]y' -2y=4-t[/tex]. In this case, f(x) = 1 and f(y) = 2y-t+4. However, the matrices that I am currenly facing make things for difficult. The resulting graph should have axes of x_1 and x_2 but that's all I know for sure. Can anyone help me please?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted