1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphing with respect to y

1. Mar 12, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having difficulty graphing with respect to y (unless I graph it point by point).

For example, I find it hard to graph: [tex] f(y)= \frac{y}{\sqrt{16-y^2}}[/tex]

Does anyone know of an easy method to graph such a function or know how to do it on a Ti 84+ SE? Also, it would be great if someone could link me to a website that shows you a method. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2008 #2
    Whenever you graph something, you need to first identify the independant and dependant variables. In this case, y is the independant variable and f(y) is the dependant variable so it is really no different than graphing an equation with x and f(x).

Most graphing calculators will only let you call the independant variable "x" and the dependant variable "y" so this is a time when you just have to be smarter than the calculator.
  4. Mar 12, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Graph [tex]y= f(x)= \frac{x}{\sqrt{16-x^2}}[/tex]
    and then turn your calculator on its side!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?