Graphing Non-f(x) Functions on TI-89 Calculator

• Thread starter jaredmt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the TI-89 calculator can graph implicit equations by solving for y and inputting it into Y1. It is also possible to write a program to graph an implicit equation without having to solve for a variable.
jaredmt
i was wondering if i could graph something like:
2x + 3y = 7
or
3y^2 + 2x^2 -3x +6 = 0

where the function doesn't always start with plain f(x). is it possible to do this on ti 89?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If y=f(x), then solve for y. If you're asking about things that don't have nice explicit forms, eg a 3rd degree polynomial in y, then yes, the TI-89 can solve those for you.

Last edited:
Fairly sure you can only graph explicit functions on the TI-89, so like qntty says, you'll have to solve for y (but the TI-89 will do this for you).

Sometimes, but not always, you can write implicitely defined functions in terms of explicit functions of a parameter. For example, you can graph x2+ y2= 1, a circle, in parametric graphing mode with x= cos(t), y= sin(t).

Now the TI-89 is programmable so you might search the TI site for packages you can upload to expand its capacities or write your own. At worst you can graph the inequality f(x,y) < 0 by iterating over the coordinates on the visible screen and plotting the ones satisfying the inequality. The boundary will then be your curve.

Yes, if you want to graph an implicit equation without having to first solve for a variable, you could easily write a program to solve it and input it into Y1.

1. How do I graph a non-f(x) function on a TI-89 calculator?

To graph a non-f(x) function on a TI-89 calculator, you will need to use the "custom" graphing feature. This can be accessed by pressing the "F3" button and selecting "Custom" from the menu. From there, you can input your function using the calculator's syntax and graph it.

2. Can I graph multiple non-f(x) functions on the same graph on a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can graph multiple non-f(x) functions on the same graph on a TI-89 calculator by using the "custom" graphing feature. Simply input each function one at a time, and they will all appear on the same graph.

3. What is the difference between a non-f(x) function and a regular function?

A regular function, also known as an f(x) function, is a mathematical relationship between an input (x) and an output (y). A non-f(x) function, on the other hand, is a general mathematical relationship between two or more variables that does not follow the traditional f(x) format.

4. What types of non-f(x) functions can be graphed on a TI-89 calculator?

A TI-89 calculator can graph a variety of non-f(x) functions, including polynomial functions, exponential functions, logarithmic functions, trigonometric functions, and more. As long as the function can be expressed using the calculator's syntax, it can be graphed.

5. Can I save or export a graph of a non-f(x) function on a TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can save or export a graph of a non-f(x) function on a TI-89 calculator by using the "graph-to-text" feature. This can be accessed by pressing the "F6" button and selecting "Graph-to-text" from the menu. The graph will be converted into a text format that can be saved or exported.