Graphs: Expected Number of Triangles and Variance

In summary, to find the expected number of triangles in a random graph on n vertices, we use indicator variables and the fact that P(A_{ijk}) = \frac{1}{8}. To find the variance, we use the formula Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2 and calculate E(X^2) using the same approach. This gives us the final formula Var(X) = \frac{n^3 - 6n^2 + 11n - 6}{384}.
jgens
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Let [itex]G[/itex] be a random graph on [itex]n[/itex] vertices:
1) What is the expected number of triangles in [itex]G[/itex]?
2) What is the variance in the number of triangles?

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I can do (1) by using indicator variables. In particular, let [itex]X[/itex] denote the number of triangles in [itex]G[/itex], suppose [itex]\theta_{ijk}[/itex] is the indicator variable that the triple of vertices [itex]i,j,k[/itex] make a triangle, and let [itex]A_{ijk}[/itex] denote the event that the triple of vertices make a triangle. Then, we know
[tex]E(X) = \sum_{i,j,k}P(A_{ijk})[/tex]
where the sum extends over all triples [itex]i,j,k[/itex]. Since there are [itex]\binom{n}{3}[/itex] such triples and since [itex]P(A_{ijk}) = \frac{1}{8}[/itex], this means
[tex]E(X) = \binom{n}{3}\frac{1}{8}[/tex]
which gives us the expected number of triangles.

Now, I just need help getting started with the variance problem. I think I'm just supposed to utilize the fact that [itex]Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2[/itex], but I'm not sure. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there! Your approach to the expected number of triangles is correct. For the variance, you are on the right track. You can use the formula Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2, but you will need to calculate E(X^2) as well.

To do this, you can use the same indicator variable approach. Let Y denote the number of pairs of vertices that share an edge. Then we can express X^2 in terms of Y as follows:
X^2 = \sum_{i,j,k} \theta_{ijk} \theta_{ijl}
where l is some vertex that is different from i,j,k. This is because for each triple (i,j,k) that forms a triangle, there are \binom{n-3}{1} ways to choose the fourth vertex l that will form a pair with one of the vertices in the triangle.

Now, we can use linearity of expectation to express E(X^2) in terms of E(Y):
E(X^2) = \sum_{i,j,k} E(\theta_{ijk} \theta_{ijl})
= \sum_{i,j,k} P(A_{ijk} \cap A_{ijl})
= \sum_{i,j,k} P(A_{ijk})P(A_{ijl}) (since the events are independent)
= \binom{n}{3} \frac{1}{8} \binom{n-3}{1} \frac{1}{8} (since P(A_{ijk}) = P(A_{ijl}) = \frac{1}{8})
= \binom{n}{3} \binom{n-3}{1} \frac{1}{64}

Finally, we can plug this into the formula for variance:
Var(X) = E(X^2) - E(X)^2
= \binom{n}{3} \binom{n-3}{1} \frac{1}{64} - (\binom{n}{3} \frac{1}{8})^2
= \binom{n}{3} \frac{(n-3)}{64} - \binom{n}{6} \frac{1}{64}
= \frac{n^3 - 6n^2 + 11n - 6}{384}

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is the expected number of triangles in a graph?

The expected number of triangles in a graph is calculated by taking the total number of possible triangles in the graph and dividing it by the total number of possible combinations of three vertices. This can also be expressed as the product of the number of vertices, choose three.

2. How is the expected number of triangles related to the number of edges in a graph?

The expected number of triangles is directly related to the number of edges in a graph. As the number of edges increases, the number of possible triangles also increases, resulting in a higher expected number of triangles.

3. What is the significance of the expected number of triangles in a graph?

The expected number of triangles in a graph can give insight into the overall structure and connectivity of the graph. A higher expected number of triangles indicates a denser and more interconnected graph, while a lower expected number of triangles suggests a sparser and less interconnected graph.

4. How is the variance of the number of triangles calculated in a graph?

The variance of the number of triangles in a graph is calculated by taking the square of the standard deviation of the number of triangles. The standard deviation is calculated by finding the average difference between the actual number of triangles in a graph and the expected number of triangles.

5. What does a high variance in the number of triangles indicate about a graph?

A high variance in the number of triangles indicates that the actual number of triangles in a graph varies significantly from the expected number of triangles. This could suggest an uneven distribution of triangles throughout the graph or the presence of outlier vertices that have a disproportionate number of triangles.