Plotting Shielding Effectiveness with FEMLAB: Newbie Questions

• Thread starter sanshyme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphs
In summary: Thanks!Yes, the application mode vars are the ones you need to enter in order to run the commands. You'll need to specify the coordinates of the point you want to calculate the field at. In summary, Sanshyme needs to export the fem structure to MATLAB in order to use the codes provided and then use postinterp to get the field at a specific point.
sanshyme
hi i am new to FEMlab and have to plot sielding effectiveness of magnetic materials using the software.

but currently i have the following problems
1. plot current in quasi state in EM model
2. plot graphs
3. save my models in FEMLAB in .fl format
4. open saved models in .fl format

do i need a mathlab to use my FEMlab?

thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Hi Sanshyme, welcome to PF !

Great that you're getting to use one of the best fea software around.

1. Go to the post-processing mode, open the post-processing options box, and choose the variable you want to plot and what type of a plot you want.
2. If you're looking to plot model related properties, results or so that can all be done as above, under post-processing you've domain and cross section plots to make 'graph' plots.
3. Hmmm, the *.fl ougth to be the default model save format ... so just saving a model file via file - save as ougth to go about in this format ?
4. Likewise, open under file - open or then set the model root path in the opening window under user models.

No, you don't need matlab, but linking femlab to MATLAB can help in advanced model customization, data transfer etc. between these 2 softwares.

hi hi all.. i got more questions on femlab. first thanks to PerenniaII!
i am currently generating a cylindrical current carrying conductor

Center at the origin; Radius: 0.01m; Initial Az = 100

i exported the fem structure to the MATLAB and uses the following codes

[x,y]=meshgrid(0.01:0.001:0.075,0);

p=[x(:)';y(:)'];

B =postinterp(fem,'normB_qa',p)

now, suppose i would like to get the value of B at x=0.75 and y=0, what should i write? thanks!

by the way is the axes of femlab in metres?! thanks!

... Femlab is as most codes dimensionless, it has libraries based on a certain set of units but essentially you define the system of units when inputting geometry, material properties etc.

With respect to getting results at arbitrary points I'd say in most cases you can use 'postinterp' for that as well, it accepts points as input.

hi ...
so am i right to say that if i want to get the Bfield at point x=0.75 and y=0,
i'll write

x,y]=meshgrid(0.75,0);

p=[x(:)';y(:)'];

B =postinterp(fem,'normB_qa',p) ??
thanks!

Looks good, if you got the application mode vars right, if you get errors we can try to debug what's going wrong.

1. What is FEMLAB and how does it relate to shielding effectiveness?

FEMLAB is a finite element analysis software used for simulating and solving complex engineering and scientific problems. In terms of shielding effectiveness, FEMLAB can be used to model and analyze the electromagnetic behavior of shielding materials and structures.

2. Can FEMLAB be used for both conductive and magnetic shielding simulations?

Yes, FEMLAB has the capability to simulate both conductive and magnetic shielding. It uses finite element analysis methods to solve Maxwell's equations for electromagnetic problems, allowing for accurate modeling of a wide range of shielding materials and structures.

3. Are there any specific prerequisites for using FEMLAB for shielding effectiveness simulations?

While a strong understanding of electromagnetic theory and finite element analysis is helpful, FEMLAB is designed to be user-friendly and does not require extensive knowledge of these topics. However, it is important to have a good understanding of the shielding materials and structures being modeled in order to accurately set up and interpret the simulations.

4. Can FEMLAB be used to compare different shielding materials or designs?

Yes, FEMLAB is a powerful tool for comparing and evaluating different shielding materials or designs. By setting up and running simulations for each material or design, FEMLAB can provide insights into their shielding effectiveness and help identify the most effective option.

5. What are some common challenges or limitations when using FEMLAB for shielding effectiveness simulations?

Some common challenges when using FEMLAB for shielding effectiveness simulations include accurately modeling the geometry and properties of the materials and structures, selecting appropriate boundary conditions, and interpreting the results. It is important to carefully consider these factors in order to obtain accurate and meaningful results.