Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphs in MathCAD

1. Jul 20, 2005 #1
    When graphing 2D X-Y in MathCAD there is an option to make the axis scale equal, but it doesn't seem to work like I want it. If the axis scales are equal, then the grid should always make perfect squares, but it doesn't. Especially if you start dragging the sides of the graph window. How can this be fixed?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2005 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

MathCAD has no function to make minor divisions on axes equi-distant. The graph will be stretched to fit in the size of the window you make by grabbing and stretching the region it is in. The equal scale option simply sets the scale numbers equal. It doesn't effect the sizing.

4. Jul 21, 2005 #3
    Thanks FredGarvin! Say, I trying to use Maple 8 to draw graphs, and then export them as dxf. This export is only possible when the graph is in 3D, but I only need 2D. I get a little confused when seeing 3D graphs (lol), is there any way I can "convert" the 3D graph to 2D, so that only the standard x-y plane is visible? I first thought I could just "turn" the graph window around to accomplish this, but I wasn't able to. Hope you can help me...

5. Jul 22, 2005 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I have not had the chance to play around with Maple. I can't really help you there. I have been thinking if there is some way to do what you are looking for, but I can not get the equidistant graduations like you are looking for. Is there any particular reason you need this?

6. Jul 22, 2005 #5
    I actually managed to fix that distance thing myself. If I just turned Autoscale off and Autogrid on, the the grid always makes perfect squares. The reason I want this is that if the axis arent't equal that gives you a false impression of what the graph looks like, especially if you aren't aware of it. But thanks anyway!

7. Jul 22, 2005 #6

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Where is the Autogrid option found? Under the properties tab?

8. Jul 22, 2005 #7
    No, I just double-click the graph window and a bunch of options appear. Also you can right-click on it and use the Format tab.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?