1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphs of a vs. t, v vs. t, and d vs. t ?

1. Sep 1, 2003 #1
    Graphs of a vs. t, v vs. t, and d vs. t ???

Plese help !!

I am given a graph of a vs. t
    How do i use it to determine the other graphs:
    v vs. t
    d vs. t
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2003 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You haven't supplied enough information. What are the relationships between the variables defined by the letters a,t,v,d?
  4. Sep 1, 2003 #3

Staff: Mentor

If you have the equations, just plug in a few points and go.

If you have one equation, you integrate to get the others... but like mathman said, you haven't given us enough information.
  5. Sep 1, 2003 #4
    i am not given any equations
    i am only given the graph of a vs. t
    plz help
  6. Sep 1, 2003 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to use the basic relationships between the quanities.

a= dv/dt => The acceleration determines the slope of the velocity graph. So a constant acceleration line means an increasing velocity, Acceleration = 0 means a constant velocity. You must study the graphs you are given and piece together the various graphs.

Remember that v = dx/dt so you can do the same thing with the velocity line to create a displacement graph.

With that said this is off to homework.
  7. Sep 1, 2003 #6
    v = [inte] a dt

d = [inte] d dt
  8. Sep 2, 2003 #7
    If it's not a very screwed up graph you can write the equations just by looking at it.
  9. Sep 2, 2003 #8
  10. Sep 2, 2003 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Probably what you want for this is the fact that the integral is the area under the curve.

Given a graph for a(t), estimate the area under the curve from 0 to t for a number of different values of t. That will give the graph for v(t). It is probably enough to remember things like: if the graph of a(t) is above a=0, then v(t) is increasing, if below, then v(t) is decreasing. if the graph of a(t) is horizontal, then v(t) increases (or decreases) linearly with slope given by the a value.

Once you have a rough graph for v(t), x(t) is the area under that curve. Repeat the process to get a graph of x(t).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?