Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Graphs of a vs. t, v vs. t, and d vs. t ?

1. Sep 1, 2003 #1
    Graphs of a vs. t, v vs. t, and d vs. t ???

Plese help !!

I am given a graph of a vs. t
    How do i use it to determine the other graphs:
    v vs. t
    d vs. t

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2003 #2

mathman

Science Advisor

You haven't supplied enough information. What are the relationships between the variables defined by the letters a,t,v,d?

4. Sep 1, 2003 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

If you have the equations, just plug in a few points and go.

If you have one equation, you integrate to get the others... but like mathman said, you haven't given us enough information.

5. Sep 1, 2003 #4
    i am not given any equations
    i am only given the graph of a vs. t
    btw
    a=acceleration
    t=time
    v=velocity
    d=displacement
    plz help
    thx

6. Sep 1, 2003 #5

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to use the basic relationships between the quanities.

a= dv/dt => The acceleration determines the slope of the velocity graph. So a constant acceleration line means an increasing velocity, Acceleration = 0 means a constant velocity. You must study the graphs you are given and piece together the various graphs.

Remember that v = dx/dt so you can do the same thing with the velocity line to create a displacement graph.

With that said this is off to homework.

7. Sep 1, 2003 #6
    v = [inte] a dt

d = [inte] d dt

8. Sep 2, 2003 #7
    If it's not a very screwed up graph you can write the equations just by looking at it.

9. Sep 2, 2003 #8
  10. Sep 2, 2003 #9

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Probably what you want for this is the fact that the integral is the area under the curve.

Given a graph for a(t), estimate the area under the curve from 0 to t for a number of different values of t. That will give the graph for v(t). It is probably enough to remember things like: if the graph of a(t) is above a=0, then v(t) is increasing, if below, then v(t) is decreasing. if the graph of a(t) is horizontal, then v(t) increases (or decreases) linearly with slope given by the a value.

Once you have a rough graph for v(t), x(t) is the area under that curve. Repeat the process to get a graph of x(t).

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook