1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphs of all nature

1. Oct 6, 2003 #1
    Alrighty, I have a problems with trying to convert graphs into.. well other graphs. Right now i'm sorta stuck on Velocity, Accerleration and Force. For instance covering this statement into a Graph. the object moves away from the origin with a constant velocity. Then I gotta graph it as the force. Now i have it graphed and i have a straight line in the positive area in the force graph. Something like that is rather easy, but what if the accerleation is changing? I remeber something about if the accerleration in constant, that there is no force. Any help would be appericated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2003 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"I remeber something about if the accerleration in constant, that there is no force."

No, if the VELOCITY is constant there is no force.

F= ma so, for constant mass, anyway, the graphs of Force and Acceleration are equivalent. Roughly speaking, if you have a velocity graph and want to draw the acceleration graph, you need to look at slopes. If you have acceleration and want to draw velocity or if you have velocity and want to draw displacement, you need to look at area under the curve.

I would need to know what calculus you have to work with to be more precise.

4. Oct 6, 2003 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

And did you actually say "alrighty"? Do people really talk that way?

5. Oct 6, 2003 #4
    I just started taking calc this year, so my knowledge isn't all that much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?