Solving Graphs of All Nature | Velocity, Accerleration & Force

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of converting graphs for velocity, acceleration, and force. The speaker mentions that for constant velocity, there is no force and explains how to draw the graphs for different scenarios. They also mention that their knowledge in calculus is limited.
Spectre32
Alrighty, I have a problems with trying to convert graphs into.. well other graphs. Right now I'm sort of stuck on Velocity, Accerleration and Force. For instance covering this statement into a Graph. the object moves away from the origin with a constant velocity. Then I got to graph it as the force. Now i have it graphed and i have a straight line in the positive area in the force graph. Something like that is rather easy, but what if the accerleation is changing? I remeber something about if the accerleration in constant, that there is no force. Any help would be appericated.

Physics news on Phys.org
"I remeber something about if the accerleration in constant, that there is no force."

No, if the VELOCITY is constant there is no force.

F= ma so, for constant mass, anyway, the graphs of Force and Acceleration are equivalent. Roughly speaking, if you have a velocity graph and want to draw the acceleration graph, you need to look at slopes. If you have acceleration and want to draw velocity or if you have velocity and want to draw displacement, you need to look at area under the curve.

I would need to know what calculus you have to work with to be more precise.

And did you actually say "alrighty"? Do people really talk that way?

I just started taking calc this year, so my knowledge isn't all that much.

1. What is the difference between velocity, acceleration, and force in graphs?

Velocity, acceleration, and force are all related to the motion of an object. Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position over time, acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time, and force is any influence that causes an object to undergo a change in motion. In graphs, velocity is represented by the slope of the position-time graph, acceleration is represented by the slope of the velocity-time graph, and force is represented by the area under the acceleration-time graph.

2. How do you determine the velocity, acceleration, and force from a graph?

To determine the velocity from a graph, you can find the slope of the line on a position-time graph. Similarly, the acceleration can be found by finding the slope of the line on a velocity-time graph. To determine the force, you need to find the area under the acceleration-time graph. This can be done by finding the area of each individual rectangle or by using calculus to find the area under a curve.

3. What does a straight line on a velocity-time graph indicate?

A straight line on a velocity-time graph indicates that the object is moving with a constant velocity. This means that the object is not speeding up or slowing down, but maintaining a consistent speed over time.

4. How do you interpret a curved line on an acceleration-time graph?

A curved line on an acceleration-time graph indicates that the object is experiencing a changing acceleration. The steeper the curve, the greater the acceleration. A flat line on the graph indicates that the object is experiencing a constant acceleration.

5. Can you have a negative velocity or acceleration on a graph?

Yes, both velocity and acceleration can be negative on a graph. A negative velocity indicates that the object is moving in the opposite direction of the positive direction, while a negative acceleration indicates that the object is slowing down. This is represented by a downwards slope on the graph.