1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphs of function g(x)

1. Nov 29, 2012 #1
    Let g(x) be a function where g(0)=0, g(2)=0 and g'(4)=0. Which of the following is a possible graph of g(x)? (I have attached an image of the graphs) First, I immediately eliminated choice C) because g(0) isnt 0. I dont really get what that little apostrophe means in g'(4)=0. Is that like the derivative? If someone can please explain this to me, Id appreciate it. thanks!

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2012 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, [itex]g^\prime[/itex] is the derivative of g.

4. Nov 29, 2012 #3
    Can you please explain to me an easy way I can find the derivative of the graph?

5. Nov 29, 2012 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

What is the derivative? What is the geometrical interpretation of the derivative??

6. Nov 29, 2012 #5

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

The original posting and replies belong in the Calculus & Beyond board section.

As for finding the choice of graph matching the required values, just look at each graph and compare with the required values. The easy part is checking which graphs have g(x)=0. You require g(0)=0 and g(2)=0. WHICH choices of graph fit this? WHICH choices of graph do NOT fit this? [STRIKE]You may find that the given information of the derivative is not necessary.[/STRIKE] Do you know what is a derivative?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  7. Nov 29, 2012 #6
    umm dy/dx?

8. Nov 29, 2012 #7

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, but what does the derivative mean?? Why did we bother to introduce it?

9. Nov 29, 2012 #8
    they're the values of the function..and its a limit?

10. Nov 29, 2012 #9

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the derivative is not the value of a function.

Yes, it is a limit.

Another hint: The derivative gives the slope of something. What does it give the slope of?

11. Nov 29, 2012 #10
    the tangent line? I dont get how I can find the slope of this graph if there are no numbers, and just letters?

12. Nov 29, 2012 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not quite right.

The derivative gives you the slope of the tangent line.

For graph A: Is the slope of the line tangent to g(x) at x = 4 positive? ... or is it negative? ... or is it zero?

For graph B: Is the slope of the line tangent to g(x) at x = 4 positive? ... or is it negative? ... or is it zero?

13. Nov 29, 2012 #12
    for graph A: its positive. because it goes up?
    for B: negative
    for C:positive
    for D:zero
    is this right?

14. Nov 29, 2012 #13

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Who is "it"? If you want to be understood, don't use "it", especially when you're talking about two different things (which I think you are).

15. Nov 29, 2012 #14

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I assume you're answering my previous question which was:
    You could eliminate some confusion by either answering more completely, for example:
    for graph A: The slope of the tangent line at x = 4 is positive, because the graph of g(x) goes up? ...​

Alternatively, you could use the "QUOTE" feature to reply to my post. Then what you're referring to would be clearer, although your reply would still be somewhat ambiguous.

If your reply is referring to the slope of the tangent line at x = 4, then your responses are correct.

With those answers, can you successfully identify the correct graph from the Original Post in this thread?

16. Nov 29, 2012 #15
    I'll go with B. final answer...

17. Nov 29, 2012 #16

Mark44

Nope

18. Nov 29, 2012 #17
    I feel dumb. Please tell me its A

19. Nov 29, 2012 #18

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at your answers for the slope at x=4.

Only one of the graphs has g'(4)=0 .

20. Nov 29, 2012 #19
    ohhh..so its 0 when the graph doesnt go through point 4.which is D

21. Nov 29, 2012 #20

Mark44

Please give an answer that indicates what is being asked, without using "it". Also, there is no point 4.

When you say "it" I don't know what you're referring to, and I have to go back to post #1 to look at the graph.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook