Graphs of function g(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the function g(x) with given values and its derivative, g'(x). The poster asks for help in understanding the meaning of the derivative and how to find it on a graph. The expert responds with hints and clarifications, ultimately guiding the poster to the correct choice of graph D, which matches the given equation g'(4)=0.
salma17
Let g(x) be a function where g(0)=0, g(2)=0 and g'(4)=0. Which of the following is a possible graph of g(x)? (I have attached an image of the graphs) First, I immediately eliminated choice C) because g(0) isn't 0. I don't really get what that little apostrophe means in g'(4)=0. Is that like the derivative? If someone can please explain this to me, Id appreciate it. thanks!

Attachments

• graphs pic.jpg
    graphs pic.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, [itex]g^\prime[/itex] is the derivative of g.

Can you please explain to me an easy way I can find the derivative of the graph?

What is the derivative? What is the geometrical interpretation of the derivative??

salma17 said:
Let g(x) be a function where g(0)=0, g(2)=0 and g'(4)=0. Which of the following is a possible graph of g(x)? (I have attached an image of the graphs) First, I immediately eliminated choice C) because g(0) isn't 0. I don't really get what that little apostrophe means in g'(4)=0. Is that like the derivative? If someone can please explain this to me, Id appreciate it. thanks!

The original posting and replies belong in the Calculus & Beyond board section.

As for finding the choice of graph matching the required values, just look at each graph and compare with the required values. The easy part is checking which graphs have g(x)=0. You require g(0)=0 and g(2)=0. WHICH choices of graph fit this? WHICH choices of graph do NOT fit this? [STRIKE]You may find that the given information of the derivative is not necessary.[/STRIKE] Do you know what is a derivative?

Last edited:
umm dy/dx?

salma17 said:
umm dy/dx?

Yes, but what does the derivative mean?? Why did we bother to introduce it?

they're the values of the function..and its a limit?

salma17 said:
they're the values of the function..and its a limit?
No, the derivative is not the value of a function.

Yes, it is a limit.

Another hint: The derivative gives the slope of something. What does it give the slope of?

the tangent line? I don't get how I can find the slope of this graph if there are no numbers, and just letters?

salma17 said:
the tangent line? I don't get how I can find the slope of this graph if there are no numbers, and just letters?
Not quite right.

The derivative gives you the slope of the tangent line.

For graph A: Is the slope of the line tangent to g(x) at x = 4 positive? ... or is it negative? ... or is it zero?

For graph B: Is the slope of the line tangent to g(x) at x = 4 positive? ... or is it negative? ... or is it zero?

for graph A: its positive. because it goes up?
for B: negative
for C:positive
for D:zero
is this right?

salma17 said:
Who is "it"? If you want to be understood, don't use "it", especially when you're talking about two different things (which I think you are).
salma17 said:
is this right?

salma17 said:
is this right?
I assume you're answering my previous question which was:
For graph A: Is the slope of the line tangent to g(x) at x = 4 positive? ... or is it negative? ... or is it zero?

For graph B: Is the slope of the line tangent to g(x) at x = 4 positive? ... or is it negative? ... or is it zero?

You could eliminate some confusion by either answering more completely, for example:
for graph A: The slope of the tangent line at x = 4 is positive, because the graph of g(x) goes up? ...​

Alternatively, you could use the "QUOTE" feature to reply to my post. Then what you're referring to would be clearer, although your reply would still be somewhat ambiguous.

If your reply is referring to the slope of the tangent line at x = 4, then your responses are correct.

With those answers, can you successfully identify the correct graph from the Original Post in this thread?

I'll go with B. final answer...

salma17 said:
I'll go with B. final answer...
Nope

I feel dumb. Please tell me its A

salma17 said:
Let g(x) be a function where g(0)=0, g(2)=0 and g'(4)=0.

salma17 said:
I feel dumb. Please tell me its A
Look at your answers for the slope at x=4.

Only one of the graphs has g'(4)=0 .

ohhh..so its 0 when the graph doesn't go through point 4.which is D

salma17 said:
ohhh..so its 0 when the graph doesn't go through point 4.which is D
Please give an answer that indicates what is being asked, without using "it". Also, there is no point 4.

When you say "it" I don't know what you're referring to, and I have to go back to post #1 to look at the graph.

salma17 said:

Examine the parts of this equation, g'(4)=0, and decide which of the choices A, B, C, D, match this equation. You know that g' is a derivative. What is the value for x in this derivative? What does g'(4)=0 mean? What does it look like? Which graph shows this?

1. What is a graph of function g(x)?

A graph of function g(x) is a visual representation of the relationship between the input values (x) and output values (g(x)) of a function. It is a way to show how the values of a function change as the input values change.

2. How do you plot a graph of function g(x)?

To plot a graph of function g(x), you need to choose a set of input values (x) and calculate the corresponding output values (g(x)). Then, plot the points on a coordinate plane and connect them with a line. You can also use a graphing calculator or software to plot the graph automatically.

3. What is the importance of a graph of function g(x)?

A graph of function g(x) can help us understand the behavior and characteristics of a function. It can show us the domain and range of the function, the maximum and minimum values, and the points of intersection with other functions. It also allows us to make predictions and solve problems related to the function.

4. What are the different types of graphs of function g(x)?

There are several types of graphs of function g(x), such as line graphs, bar graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. The type of graph used depends on the type of data and the purpose of the graph. For functions, the most commonly used type of graph is a line graph.

5. Can a graph of function g(x) have more than one line?

Yes, a graph of function g(x) can have multiple lines if the function has multiple variables or parameters. Each line on the graph represents a different function with its own equation and characteristics. This type of graph is known as a multi-line graph.