Graphs of inverse trigonometric vs inverse hyperbolic functions

In summary, the graphs of ##y=\cos^{-1}x## and ##y=\cosh^{-1}x## are similar because the real part of one is the imaginary part of the other. However, when ##x<-1##, the imaginary part of ##y=\cos^{-1}x## is negative while the real part of ##y=\cosh^{-1}x## is positive. This can be changed by defining the real part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## as negative for ##x>1##, similar to the definition of ##\cos^{-1}x##. The graphs for ##y=\cos^{-1}x## and ##x=\cosh^{-1}x##
Happiness
I noticed the graphs of ##y=\cos^{-1}x## and ##y=\cosh^{-1}x## are similar in the sense that the real part of one is the imaginary part of the other. This is true except when ##x<-1## where the imaginary part of ##y=\cos^{-1}x## is negative but the real part of ##y=\cosh^{-1}x## is positive.

I believe whether they are positive or negative is by a choice of convention. So why don't we define them to be both positive or both negative?

##\cos^{-1}x## graph: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=acos(x)
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.33.14 pm.png

##\cosh^{-1}x## graph: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=y=acosh(x)
Screen Shot 2016-06-08 at 11.33.28 pm.png

Question 2:
Since the real part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## is the imaginary part of ##\cos^{-1}x## when ##x>1##, this means that multiplying ##i## to the real part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## gives the imaginary part of ##\cos^{-1}x##:
##i\cosh^{-1}x=\cos^{-1}x## for ##x>1##.

Similarly, since the real part of ##\cos^{-1}x## is the imaginary part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## when ##x<1##, we have
##\cosh^{-1}x=i\cos^{-1}x## for ##x<1##.

We have two rules depending on the value of ##x##. Why not use the same rule? And change the definition of ##\cosh^{-1}x## accordingly: define the real part of ##\cosh^{-1}x## as negative for ##x>1##.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi Happiness:

If your reasoning is the based on the graphs, you need to understand that those graphs are not complete.

Given a graph of y = f(x), you can get the inverse graph x = f-1(y) by reflecting the graph about the main diagonal y=x. As an example, consider the graphs for y = x2 and x = √y . When you show a graph for x = √y it is comon to ignore the values for negative x, but the negative values are actually part of the graph. x has both + and - values for a given value of y.

Regards,
Buzz

1. What is the difference between inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions?

The main difference between inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions is the type of input they accept. Inverse trigonometric functions take in angles as their input, while inverse hyperbolic functions take in real numbers as their input.

2. How do you graph inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions?

To graph inverse trigonometric functions, you can use a unit circle and plot the corresponding angle and value on the circle. For inverse hyperbolic functions, you can use the basic shapes of their graphs, such as the hyperbola for inverse hyperbolic sine and cosine, and the exponential function for inverse hyperbolic tangent and cotangent.

3. What are the domains and ranges of inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions?

The domain of inverse trigonometric functions is restricted to specific values depending on the type of function, such as arcsine and arccosine having a domain of [-1, 1]. The range of these functions is typically the set of all real numbers. Inverse hyperbolic functions have a domain of all real numbers and a range that varies depending on the function.

4. How do the graphs of inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions relate to each other?

The graphs of inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions have similar shapes, but they are not identical. For example, both inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic sine functions have a shape resembling a wave, but the inverse hyperbolic sine function has a steeper curve.

5. What are some real-life applications of inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions?

Inverse trigonometric and inverse hyperbolic functions are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are used to model and solve problems involving angles, trajectories, and oscillations. Inverse hyperbolic functions are also used in statistics and probability to model and analyze data distributions.