1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graphs on Work

1. Jun 18, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The graphs show the force Fi (in pounds) required to move an object 9 feet along the x-axis. Order the force functions from the one that yields the least work to the one that yields the most work without doing any calculations. Explain your reasoning.

2. Relevant equations
    http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/9098/picrn.png [Broken]

3. The attempt at a solution

This is in my Calc 2 book and I don't know much or anything about physics, but I'm assuming you can use something similar to the concept of vectors to find this out? I hav no real idea how to come to a solution to this problem.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 18, 2010 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

The area under a graph gives the product of the axes. So Force vs. distance will give Area = Force*distance, which is work! So you just need to compare the areas.

4. Jun 18, 2010 #3
    So without doing any calculations, that would mean the biggest area is the one that requires the most work and the smallest, the least? And the order of the functions would go:

B, A, D, C?

5. Jun 18, 2010 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

You have it ordered from biggest to least instead of the other way around.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook