How Do Symmetric Graphs Relate to Equations and Calculations?

In summary, the conversation involves a student seeking help with a math problem involving multiplying polynomials and finding a value for x. The person helping suggests plotting the solution and using the law of sines, and also mentions following explicit directions given in the problem. The student also asks for clarification on the second and third parts of the question.
whitehorsey
1. See Attachments

2. None

3. 1st Attachment #19 I believe that I am suppose to multiply (x-2)(x+2) but what do i do about the symmetric with an origin?

2nd Attachment I do not get what they are asking for in the 2nd and 3rd part of the question can you please explain it to me.

3rd Attachment I am not sure if I did this problem right.
tan 1.2 = h/10
h = 25.72 km?

Thank You!

Attachments

• Photo0095.jpg
    Photo0095.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 429
  • Photo0096.jpg
    Photo0096.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 428
  • Photo0101.jpg
    Photo0101.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 407
Physics news on Phys.org

whitehorsey said:
1. See Attachments

2. None

3. 1st Attachment #19 I believe that I am suppose to multiply (x-2)(x+2) but what do i do about the symmetric with an origin?
Did you plot your solution?
2nd Attachment I do not get what they are asking for in the 2nd and 3rd part of the question can you please explain it to me.

You need to find the x which satisfies x = .5 cos x.
They give pretty explict directions on how to start. Did you make the plot they ask for? if not do so.
3rd Attachment I am not sure if I did this problem right.
tan 1.2 = h/10
h = 25.72 km?

Thank You![/b]

Draw a picture, This may be a good place for the law of sines.

Hello,

I would like to clarify and provide some guidance on the content and questions presented.

Firstly, the graphs shown in the attachments represent a symmetric height, meaning that the shape or pattern of the graph is evenly balanced on both sides of the origin. This can be seen by the mirror-like reflection of the graph on either side of the origin.

In the first attachment, it appears that you are trying to find the equation of the graph. In this case, you are correct in multiplying (x-2)(x+2) to find the equation y = x^2 - 4. However, it is important to note that the symmetric nature of the graph does not affect the equation itself.

In the second attachment, the question is asking for the value of the function at x = 1. This can be found by substituting x = 1 into the equation y = x^2 - 4, giving a value of -3. The third attachment also involves finding the value of the function, but at a specific angle of 1.2 radians. To find this, you can use the tangent function, as shown in the equation tan 1.2 = h/10. Solving for h gives a value of approximately 25.72 km.

I hope this helps clarify the content and questions presented. It is important to understand the concept of symmetry in graphs and how it does not affect the equation itself. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What is a graph?

A graph is a visual representation of data that shows the relationship between two or more variables.

What does "symmetric" mean in relation to graphs?

In graphs, symmetric refers to the property of being able to be divided into two equal parts that are mirror images of each other. In other words, if a line were drawn down the center of the graph, both sides would be identical.

How is symmetry measured in graphs?

Symmetry in graphs can be measured by calculating the height of the graph at each point and comparing it to the height of the graph when it is reflected over the line of symmetry. If the heights are the same, then the graph is symmetric.

Why is symmetry important in graphs?

Symmetry in graphs can be important because it can provide insight into the underlying patterns and relationships between variables. It can also make it easier to interpret and analyze the data presented in the graph.

How can we create a graph with symmetric height?

A graph with symmetric height can be created by ensuring that the data points on each side of the line of symmetry have equal heights. This can be achieved by carefully selecting and organizing the data being graphed.