How to Derive the Grasp Transformation Matrix for a Three-Finger Robot Hand?

In summary, the conversation discusses difficulties in deriving a grasp transformation matrix for a three finger robot hand to grab a cube. The person is seeking help in understanding the steps and general methods to achieve the result. They have read through some materials, but are stuck due to lack of information about the angle of rotation and other details. The person also confirms that the given vectors are the points on the cube to be grasped, but no other information about the base frame or hand position/orientation is provided.
lwcjoseph
Hello everyone, i am now working on a problem with three fingers robot hand to grab a cube to undergo some motion
however i face some difficulties on deriving the grasp transformation matrix which help to switching the local coordinate frame
at first i was given three point vectors [0 1 0]^T, [1 0.5 0]^T, [0 -1 0]^T (T means transpose)
then to calculate a Grasp transformation matrix
i would like to know the step to achieve the result and any general method for deriving the matrix?
thanks very much for your help !

Engineering news on Phys.org
Read some of these introductions:

http://commons.bcit.ca/math/examples/robotics/linear_algebra/

http://elvis.rowan.edu/~kay/papers/kinematics.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_matrix#Affine_transformations
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformation_matrixI guess you are familiar with matrices to represent linear transformations like rotations.
The only special thing in these "robotic transformation matrices" is the use of a fourth "homogeneous" coordinate.
This allows to represent the group of rotations and translations at the same time, with matrices.

Last edited:
i have read through the materials ,however, the angle of rotation and any other information concerning the transformation has not been given, that's why i have been stucked for so long
the result is as the pic attached
any help?

Attachments

• Grasp matrix.jpg
    Grasp matrix.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 426
lwcjoseph said:
at first i was given three point vectors [0 1 0]^T, [1 0.5 0]^T, [0 -1 0]^T (T means transpose)

Could you please answer these so that I can understand your question better?
Are these vectors the points on the cube that you need to grasp?
Do you have any information about the base frame and the position/ orientation of the hand?

yes they are the point that i need to grasp, however no other information are povided
that's why i have been stucked so long

1. What is a grasp transformation matrix?

A grasp transformation matrix is a mathematical representation used in robotics to describe the relationship between an object and a robotic gripper. It contains information about the position, orientation, and size of the object relative to the gripper.

2. How is a grasp transformation matrix calculated?

A grasp transformation matrix is calculated using a combination of geometric and kinematic equations. It takes into account the position and orientation of the object, as well as the kinematic constraints of the robotic gripper.

3. Why is a grasp transformation matrix important?

A grasp transformation matrix is important because it allows a robotic gripper to accurately and efficiently grasp objects. It is also necessary for tasks such as manipulation, grasping force optimization, and pose estimation.

4. How is a grasp transformation matrix used in object recognition?

In object recognition, a grasp transformation matrix is used to align the object model with the object in the real world. This allows for accurate and robust recognition of objects, even in cluttered or occluded environments.

5. Can a grasp transformation matrix be used for different types of grippers and objects?

Yes, a grasp transformation matrix can be used for different types of grippers and objects. It is a general mathematical representation that can be adapted to various gripper designs and object shapes and sizes. However, the specific calculation method may vary depending on the gripper and object being used.