Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Grassmann manifolds

1. Jul 7, 2007 #1
    I need to following subjects about GRASSMANN MANIFOLDS,what do I?

1)introduction(together with details)

2)charts,atlas(together with details)

3)depended subjects

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

read milnor, differentiable manifolds

4. Jul 8, 2007 #3
    the book name

what is your book name that introduce to me ??

5. Jul 9, 2007 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

these are leture notes on differential topology, widely available for several decades. or maybe now in the book characteristic classes.

6. Jul 9, 2007 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

heres an example: the set G of all lines through the origin of (x,y,z) space. since each such line is determined by any other point, consider the three planes x=1, y=1, z=1.

each line through the origin contains a point with at least one non zero coordinate, hence with some coordinate equal to 1, so each such line meets at least one of those planes in a unique point.

thus the set of all lines in G is covered by three sets each isomorphic to a plane. hence G is a 2 dimensional manifold with three coordinate charts. moreover, there is a 2:1 surjection from the unit sphere onto G, since each point of the sphere determines one line through (0,0,0), and each such line meets the sphere twice.

7. Jul 9, 2007 #6

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

now consider planes through (0,0,0) in space. can you see why this set is isomorphic to the previous set of lines through (0,0,0)?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?