Grav Sling Shot: Understanding Inelastic Collisions w/o Contact Forces

• Thread starter Phymath
  • Start date
In summary, a Grav Sling Shot is a scientific experiment that uses the force of gravity to study inelastic collisions. It works by applying the principles of momentum and energy conservation and can provide insights into the behavior of collisions without contact forces. The Grav Sling Shot has various applications in physics, but it also has limitations such as only considering inelastic collisions and requiring precise measurements and control of variables.
Phymath
i was wondering how a grav sling shot works, a textbook of mine says is an inelastic collision with the planets gravational field, however I am not familiar with a non-traditional momentum problem/collision when there are no contact forces, does the gravity field just do work on the slinged shot projectile, further more how could u calc its trajectory, and yes i know become an aerospace engie is an answer I am not looking for that...

Astronomy news on Phys.org

What is a Grav Sling Shot?

A Grav Sling Shot is a scientific experiment used to study inelastic collisions without the use of contact forces. It involves launching an object towards a stationary target using only the force of gravity.

How does a Grav Sling Shot work?

The Grav Sling Shot works by utilizing the principles of momentum and energy conservation. The object is launched with a certain initial velocity, and upon impact with the target, it transfers its momentum and energy, causing a change in the target's motion.

What can be learned from a Grav Sling Shot experiment?

A Grav Sling Shot experiment can provide insights into the behavior of inelastic collisions, particularly in situations where contact forces are not involved. It can also help in understanding the concept of momentum and energy conservation.

What are the applications of a Grav Sling Shot?

The Grav Sling Shot has several applications in the field of physics, such as in studying the behavior of projectiles, understanding the dynamics of collisions, and exploring the effects of gravity on objects in motion.

What are the limitations of a Grav Sling Shot experiment?

One limitation of the Grav Sling Shot experiment is that it only considers inelastic collisions and does not account for other factors such as air resistance or friction. It also requires precise measurements and control of variables to obtain accurate results.