1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravational field

1. Mar 26, 2007 #1
    Some believe that the positions of the planets at the time of birth influence the newborn. Others deride this and say that the gravitational force exerted on a baby by the obstetrician is greater than that exerted by the planets. To check this claim, first calculate the gravitational force exerted on a 5.7 kg baby by a 87.9 kg doctor who is 1.0 m away.

ok so i am going to use the formula F=G(m1m2)/r^2 and that would be

F=6.67x10^-11(87.9*5.7)/.5^2 which yeilds 1.32 x10^-7 N which is not the right answer

what am i doing wrong
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2007 #2

Homework Helper

You have 0.5 for your distance. It should be the 1 m. It is the total distance between the objects you need here.
  4. Mar 26, 2007 #3
    time to call in a replacement--seriously if the center of gravity between the doc and the mom is a meter, those are long forceps. just a joking aside.
  5. Mar 26, 2007 #4
    the equation calls for the radius squared and so i was using .5^2
  6. Mar 26, 2007 #5
    I think the radius is the distance between the two objects centers. This is different than how we usu think of circles and distance.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?