Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Graviational potential of 2 cones

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider two hollow fixed cones (such as ice cream cones without the ice cream). They have a base radius R, slant height L,and a surface mass density σ. The cones are vertical, with their apexs touching (say, at the origin). A particle initially at rest falls in from infinity, along a perpendicular bisector line. What is its speed when it reaches the tip of the cones?

2. Relevant equations

F = GMm/r^2
    V= GMm/r

3. The attempt at a solution

So I am trying to write an equation for the cone, where if I pick any arbitrary height on the cone, I would get the circumference at that point. I would then integrate over the height of the cone. However, I am having trouble coming up with such an equations. I know that the forces in the z and y direction will cancel, so the particle will be "pulled" towards the vertex of both cones.

Would it be possible to consider the cones as a point at their center of mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi khemist! :smile:

I don't really understand what your cones have to do with it... :confused:

At infinity a particle of mass m and speed zero would have energy zero (arbitrary choice).
    At distance 6000 km from earth (which is the radius of the earth), you can calculate the energy E=-GMm/6000km.
    This will equal the increase in kinetic energy (1/2)mv^2, from which you can calculate the speed v...

Btw, note that the potential is V=-GM/r.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook