1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Graviational potential of 2 cones

1. Nov 9, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider two hollow fixed cones (such as ice cream cones without the ice cream). They have a base radius R, slant height L,and a surface mass density σ. The cones are vertical, with their apexs touching (say, at the origin). A particle initially at rest falls in from infinity, along a perpendicular bisector line. What is its speed when it reaches the tip of the cones?

2. Relevant equations

F = GMm/r^2
    V= GMm/r

3. The attempt at a solution

So I am trying to write an equation for the cone, where if I pick any arbitrary height on the cone, I would get the circumference at that point. I would then integrate over the height of the cone. However, I am having trouble coming up with such an equations. I know that the forces in the z and y direction will cancel, so the particle will be "pulled" towards the vertex of both cones.

Would it be possible to consider the cones as a point at their center of mass?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2011 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Hi khemist! :smile:

I don't really understand what your cones have to do with it... :confused:

At infinity a particle of mass m and speed zero would have energy zero (arbitrary choice).
    At distance 6000 km from earth (which is the radius of the earth), you can calculate the energy E=-GMm/6000km.
    This will equal the increase in kinetic energy (1/2)mv^2, from which you can calculate the speed v...

Btw, note that the potential is V=-GM/r.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook