Gravimetric Analysis- Questions

• Thread starter dekoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Analysis
In summary, the first question involves determining the formula of a compound containing iron and chlorine based on the amount of silver chloride precipitate formed. The second question asks for the oxidation state of HgCr2O7, with the answer being +6 for chromium and +2 for mercury.
dekoi
Gravimetric Analysis-- Questions

I am in first-year Chemistry in university and I can't seem to find the answers for two questions from my course work. I have tried many times, and I keep reading the textbook but I still can't get it.

Please help if you know the correct answers. Thank you.

Here are the questions:

1.) A compound of Iron and Chlorine is soluble in water. An excess of Silver Nitrate was added to precipitate the chloride ion as silver chloride. If a 134.8 mg sample of the compound gave 304.8 mg of AgCl, what is the formula of the compound?

2.) Determine the oxidation number of HgCr2O7.

Thank you.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anyone?

I would appreciate if anyone could give me suggestions on these questions.

1) First figure out the mass of the chloride ions. The compound is FeClx.

304.8 mg AgCl --> 0.002 moles AgCl --> 0.002 moles Cl- --> 75 mg Cl-

134.8 mg FeClx - 75 mg Cl- = 59.4 mg Fe+x

0.002 moles Cl-
59.4 mg Fe+x --> 0.001 moles Fe+x

Therefore there is twice as much Cl- as Fe+x, so it must be Fe+2.

FeCl2

2)
Determine the oxidation number of HgCr2O7.

This does not make sense. The problem is asking you for the oxidation of a certain atom or for the oxidations numbers of each atom.

Since this is a compound you know that the overall charge is 0. The dichromate atom as an overall charge of -2. Oxygen is -2 in this case.

2) HgCr2O7

you will have to remember that Oxygen has an oxidation state of -2 no matter wat
so, O7= -2*7 = -14

as for Hg it will have an oxidation state of +2, because it is in the same group as zn.

therefore -14+2= -12

in closing Cr has an oxidation state of -12. but Cr2 will have to be -12/2 = -6. so since chromiun is beside oxygen its oxidation state changes to +6

What is gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis is a quantitative analytical method used to determine the amount of a particular substance in a sample by measuring its mass. It involves separating the substance from the sample through a chemical reaction and then weighing the resulting precipitate.

What are the steps involved in gravimetric analysis?

The steps in gravimetric analysis include sample preparation, precipitation, filtration, washing, drying, and weighing. Sample preparation involves obtaining a representative sample and converting the substance of interest into a form suitable for analysis. Precipitation involves adding a reagent that will react with the substance to form a solid precipitate. Filtration is used to separate the precipitate from the remaining sample. Washing is done to remove any impurities. The precipitate is then dried and weighed to determine its mass.

What are the advantages of gravimetric analysis?

Gravimetric analysis is a highly accurate and precise method that can be used to determine the amount of a substance in a sample even at low concentrations. It is also relatively simple and inexpensive compared to other analytical methods. Gravimetric analysis also allows for the determination of the purity of a substance.

What are the limitations of gravimetric analysis?

One of the main limitations of gravimetric analysis is that it is a time-consuming process, and the results may not be available immediately. It also requires specialized equipment and trained personnel to perform the analysis accurately. Gravimetric analysis may also be affected by impurities in the sample, which can lead to inaccurate results.

What factors can affect the accuracy of gravimetric analysis?

The accuracy of gravimetric analysis can be affected by various factors, such as human error, impurities in the sample, incomplete precipitation, loss of precipitate during filtration or washing, and incorrect weighing. It is important to carefully follow the procedure and use high-quality reagents and equipment to minimize these sources of error.