Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gravitaional Waves

1. Sep 7, 2011 #1
    Can any one suggest the that what does constructive overlapping of gravitational waves results into?? As unlike electromagnetic waves it cant be picturised...so what would such an overlapping results??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Why can't you picture it? Do you mean we can't "see" it, or we can't imagine it or make a model of it? I assume it works just like normal waves with constructive interference forming an area of more curvature.

4. Sep 8, 2011 #3
    Tahnks 4 replying...but i just want to know about its physical existance....means....what my concept says that it is produced because of the disturbance produced by accelerated matter in the space time curvature.........that can be detected by a laser interferometer......but if it is just like an normal electromagnetic waves.....then does that not contradtict the general relativity.........my questions could be silly.....:-) please bear....

5. Sep 8, 2011 #4

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

I don't understand what you are asking. Gravitational waves are waves in space-time, they are not the same as EM waves. Why would they contradict GR?

6. Sep 8, 2011 #5
    Can you please explain why you gravitational waves contradict GR?

7. Sep 8, 2011 #6
    yah..i want to confirm that whether these waves just show characteristic of normal waves....if they do then they might show the existance of some particles interacting....and these particles may be responsible for the force to be produced between two masses at a certain distance...unlike general relativity that states that the force is produced due to the curvature produced in the space-time and all other masses just follow the depression in order to be attracted towards it......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook