Gravitation in 2D Homework: Find x,y Coordinates of Particle D

• Thread starter Gold3nlily
  • Start date
  • Tags
    2d
In summary, the homework statement states that a fourth particle, with mass 4.00mA, is to be placed near the other three particles. The x coordinate and y coordinate of the fourth particle must be found so that the net gravitational force on particle A from particles B, C, and D is zero. Using the net force vector and Newton's law of gravitation, the x and y coordinates of the fourth particle can be found.
Gold3nlily

Homework Statement

Two dimensions. In Figure 13-34, three point particles are fixed in place in an xy plane. Particle A has mass mA = 7 g, particle B has mass 2.00mA, and particle C has mass 3.00mA. A fourth particle D, with mass 4.00mA, is to be placed near the other three particles. What (a) x coordinate and (b) y coordinate should particle D be placed so that the net gravitational force on particle A from particles B, C, and D is zero (d = 24 cm)?

Figure:
http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/art/qb/qu/c13/qu_1.14.gif

Homework Equations

F = (GMm)/r2
Fab + Fac + Fad = 0
split into vector components?
G = 6.67e-11

The Attempt at a Solution

X component:
(no Fab b/c that's all in y component)
Fac + Fad,x = 0
Fac = (GMamc)/rac2
Fac = [(0.007)(.021)(6.67e-11)]/ (.36)^2 = 7.57e-14
Fad,x = - 7.57e-14

So use force to solve for distance (x component of Fad): rad
Fad = (GMamd)/(rad)2
rad2 = [(0.007)(.028)(6.67e-11)]/ - 7.57e-14
rad = - 0.457m

Before I type up the y component... What should I do differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
Rather than trying to solve for the rad components as you go (which I'm not sure is practical anyways), I would first obtain the net force vector due to B and C on A, then use the magnitude of that force vector to find the scalar distance r for mass D using Newton. That then will be the magnitude of the distance vector. For direction, multiply the magnitude by a unit vector obtained from the previous net force vector (be sure to reverse its direction!).

gneill said:
That then will be the magnitude of the distance vector. For direction, multiply the magnitude by a unit vector obtained from the previous net force vector (be sure to reverse its direction!).

Fac + Fab = -Fad
Fad = -1.307e-14 Is this looking right so far?

Fad = (Gmamd)/(r2)
(can't change the direction yet or answer isn't real)
+1.307e-14 = (6.67e-11*0.007a4*0.007d)/(r2)
r = 0.263

It is the next part that confuses me. I didn't find a vector for the previous net force, I just found the force. How do I do this?

Is the vector something like this: (7.57e-14)i + (1.13e-13)j?
I don't think this makes sense and i think my net force for B and C on A would be different if this were the vector.

I thank you for the help. If you could please explain a little more I would appreciate it greatly.

If you first find the net force due to masses B and C (or alternatively, the net gravitational acceleration at the origin due to them) in component form, you have the net force vector. The values that I see for that vector's components are:

f = (-7.570 x 10-14, 1.136 x 10-13)N

The magnitude of that vector is |f| = 1.365 x 10-13N

So the "new" mass, mass D, should apply an equal and oppositely directed force. The distance r that D must be placed from A can be obtained using |f| in Newton's law of gravitation with masses A and D.

The vector for the position of D will be r multiplied by a unit vector in the opposite direction of the force vector f. Do you know how to obtain that unit vector?

gneill said:
The vector for the position of D will be r multiplied by a unit vector in the opposite direction of the force vector f. Do you know how to obtain that unit vector?

Thank you!

So the net force vector makes sense to me now. It makes sense that the net force is equal to the magnitude of this vector. (I verified the numbers on my own too).

SO now I am finding "The distance r that D must be placed from A can be obtained using |f| in Newton's law of gravitation with masses A and D."
Fad = (Gmamd)/(r2)
1.365e-13 = (6.67e-11*0.007a4*0.007d)/(r2)
r = 0.310028

For the next part, I tried this:
Fnet,x * r = -7.57e-14* 0.310028 = -2.35e-14
then I change the direction by changing the sign:
Fd,x = 2.35e-14
Fnet,y * r = 1.13ee-13* 0.310028 = 3.50-14
then I change the direction by changing the sign:
Fd,y = -3.50e-14

How am I doing?

I'm not sure what you're hoping to accomplish by multiplying the force components by the radial distance -- the units would be energy (work = force x distance).

A unit vector approach would be my own choice. The unit vector for the net force due to B and C is given by u = f/|f|. That is, divide each component of the net force vector by the magnitude of the overall vector. Now, to reverse the direction of this unit vector (so that it points in the direction you want from the origin to where D is to be located), simply negate the signs of the components. Scale this by your radial distance r and you're done.

1. What is gravitation in 2D?

Gravitation in 2D is a concept in physics that describes the force of attraction between two objects in a two-dimensional plane. It is based on Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is the force of gravitation calculated in 2D?

In 2D, the force of gravitation is calculated using the formula F = (G*m1*m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them. The force is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

3. What are the x and y coordinates of a particle in 2D?

In 2D, the x and y coordinates of a particle represent its position in a two-dimensional plane. The x-coordinate indicates the position of the particle along the horizontal axis, while the y-coordinate indicates its position along the vertical axis.

4. How do you find the x and y coordinates of a particle in 2D?

The x and y coordinates of a particle in 2D can be found by measuring its position along the horizontal and vertical axes, respectively. Alternatively, if the particle's initial position and velocity are known, its coordinates can be calculated using equations of motion.

5. How can the x and y coordinates of a particle be used in the study of gravitation in 2D?

The x and y coordinates of a particle are essential in the study of gravitation in 2D as they allow us to track the particle's position and motion over time. By analyzing the changes in the particle's coordinates, we can understand the effects of gravitational forces on its trajectory and make predictions about its future movement.