What Is the Acceleration at Point A Above a Planet?

In summary, the mass is released from a stand still at a distance of 1E7 metres from the face of a planet. The planet's radius is also 1E7 metres and the free fall acceleration on it's face is 10 metres per second.
Karol

Homework Statement

A mass m=100[kg] is released from stand still at point A which is in a distance of 1E7[m] from the face of a planet.
The planet's radius is also 1E7[m] and the free fall acceleration on it's face is 10[m/s2.
What is the acceleration at point A

Homework Equations

The acceleration: ##g=\frac{GM}{r^2}##

The Attempt at a Solution

First i find the mass:
$$10=\frac{6.7E-11\cdot M}{1E7^2}\Rightarrow M=1.49E18$$
$$g=\frac{6.7E-11\cdot 1.49E18}{2E7^2}=250E-9$$
Obviously this is wrong, the answer should be g=2.5

Physics news on Phys.org
You have it set up correctly. Check your calculation of M. Did you treat (1E7)^2 correctly?

What about units, especially in your answer?

Karol said:
$$g=\frac{6.7E-11\cdot 1.49E18}{2E7^2}=250E-9$$
You have got M correct but this part is wrong.

The radius is ##(2 \times(10^7))^2## not ##2 \times (10^7)^2##

And yes, it's more accurate to treat ##G## as ##6.67 \times 10^7##

Last edited:
I fixed it, i calculated wrong.
There is a harder continuation to this problem.
Approximate the time of fall by imposing upper and lower limits on the time.
I took the acceleration on the face and it gave a time of 1414[sec]. the upper limit is more complicated since the result is 2828[sec], and it isn't with the acceleration at A.
I guess i could approximate the acceleration to vary linearly with r: g=kr, but then i don't know to treat this kinematically

Karol said:

Homework Equations

The acceleration: ##g=\frac{GM}{r^2}##

If you note that g varies as the inverse square of the distance, you should be able to get the answer for g at A without pencil and paper. What happens to g if r is doubled?

Karol said:
I took the acceleration on the face and it gave a time of 1414[sec]. the upper limit is more complicated since the result is 2828[sec], and it isn't with the acceleration at A.

Are you sure that you don't get 2828 s if you use the acceleration at A?

Likes 1 person
r = planet radius = 1 E+7 metres
R = elevation = 1 E+7 metres
G = 6.7 E-11 (a constant)

Planet mass (M) from :
M = ( r ² * 10 ) / G
M = 1.493 E+25 kg

Only if you disregard the mass of body 2 (100 kg) as negligible (which it is, compared to the planet) can you simply calculate the field strength (g) from the basic equation :

g1 / g2 = ( ( r2 / r1 ) ² )
Key :
g1 = surface field strength ( ( m / s ) / s )
g2 = outer field strength ( ( m / s ) / s )
d1 = surface distance (m)
d2 = outer distance (m)

Transpose for g2 and calculate :
g2 = 2.5 ( ( m / s ) / s )

Your right with the time parameters, putting g as 2.5 and 10 gives the fall times of 2828 and 1414 seconds

1. What is gravitation acceleration?

Gravitation acceleration, also known as gravitational acceleration, is the acceleration caused by the force of gravity on an object. It is the rate at which an object falls towards the Earth and is measured in meters per second squared (m/s²).

2. How is gravitation acceleration calculated?

Gravitation acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = GM/r², where a is the acceleration, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

3. What is the difference between gravitation acceleration and gravitational force?

Gravitation acceleration is the rate at which an object falls due to the force of gravity, while gravitational force is the actual force of attraction between two objects with mass. Gravitation acceleration is dependent on the mass and distance between the objects, while gravitational force is dependent on the mass of the objects and the gravitational constant.

4. How does gravitation acceleration vary on different planets?

Gravitation acceleration varies on different planets due to differences in mass and distance from the planet's center. The larger the mass and the closer the distance, the stronger the gravitational acceleration will be. For example, gravitation acceleration on Earth is 9.8 m/s², while on Mars it is only 3.7 m/s².

5. What is the significance of gravitation acceleration?

Gravitation acceleration is an important concept in understanding the motion of objects, especially in the field of physics and mechanics. It helps us understand how objects fall and how they move in relation to other objects with mass. It also plays a crucial role in celestial mechanics and the study of the motion of planets and other celestial bodies.